Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CountyComm Boker EDC... in Orange... Because I know a bunch of you were wishing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
    Some of you might like these scales.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bestech...sh-g-10-series
    Can you give us a hint since Massdrop requires an account just to see what they're selling?

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 02-11-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I suspect it's this knife:

Attachment 23734

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BTK...ck-g10-handles

but for 15-20% less than Knifecenter.
    Oh, ok. By the way it was worded, I thought he was referring to replacement scales for the Boker.

Chris

Yes. Sorry, I didn't realize that you guys couldn't see it. I thought it just hid the prices like it does on my phone.

Site Supporter
    I found my justification for buying this knife!

I'll be going back to the UK for a week in April for work. This knife should be UK-Legal.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Country Comm found another 50 of the OD ones...still some left when I looked.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Country Comm found another 50 of the OD ones...still some left when I looked.
    They are gone.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I got mine last night.

Overall, it's a very nice piece and well worth the price.

A few quibbles:
    The main blade has a very slight bit of side-to-side movement. As long as it doesn't increase, it's not an issue. It's a pet peeve of mine.
    I'm not sure the serrated blade has any value. I would have preferred a can opener or a longer blade with a proper saw. Either would have more utility for me.
    The G10 scales aren't as "bright" as they looked in the pictures.

Positives:
    The blades all have nice "walk and talk".
    The shape and size of the main blade is nearly ideal.
    The pocket clip is a nice touch and will change how and where I carry a slipjoint when swimming at the bottom of my pocket isn't ideal.

I'd buy it again.

Chris
    So I've owned and used mine for 6 months. It's holding up well and still has a sharp edge. I've stripped wire, opened a lot of packages, and whittled idly while the kids were at the park playing (nothing more satisfying than turning a stick into a pile of shavings). I've used all of the blades/tools except for the glass breaker.

The pocket clip is less useful than I expected. The shape of the knife makes it feel bulky when clipped to a pocket and when riding on the bottom of the pocket like a proper slipjoint, the added thickness is noticeable. I have now removed the clip.

It turns out, the pivots are adjustable via the tiny torx screws (T6 if you're interested) used for assembly. This is a welcome feature in a slipjoint. I was able to remove all play in the main blade.

The little serrated blade is still worthless. I've yet to find a good use for it. Even the screwdriver tip is flawed because of the blade's angle. I'd rather see a pen blade, nail file, can opener, etc in that position.

It accompanied me on my trip to the UK in April. When one of my coworkers received a well secured package during work one day, and struggled to open it (no scissors handy and being the UK, no knives around), so I handed him my little Boker. The reaction of my coworkers was precious. Thing is, they know me well and know I'm a hunter, outdoorsman, and general "rugged individualist", yet were still shocked by the tamest knife I own.

Anyway, as I said above, I'd buy it again. If I didn't have a pile of knives, I'd consider getting the blade-only version as a thin "gent's knife".

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-18-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    So I've owned and used mine for 6 months. It's holding up well and still has a sharp edge. I've stripped wire, opened a lot of packages, and whittled idly while the kids were at the park playing (nothing more satisfying than turning a stick into a pile of shavings). I've used all of the blades/tools except for the glass breaker.

The pocket clip is less useful than I expected. The shape of the knife makes it feel bulky when clipped to a pocket and when riding on the bottom of the pocket like a proper slipjoint, the added thickness is noticeable. I have now removed the clip.

It turns out, the pivots are adjustable via the tiny torx screws (T6 if you're interested) used for assembly. This is a welcome feature in a slipjoint. I was able to remove all play in the main blade.

The little serrated blade is still worthless. I've yet to find a good use for it. Even the screwdriver tip is flawed because of the blade's angle. I'd rather see a pen blade, nail file, can opener, etc in that position.

It accompanied me on my trip to the UK in April. When one of my coworkers received a well secured package during work one day, and struggled to open it (no scissors handy and being the UK, no knives around), so I handed him my little Boker. The reaction of my coworkers was precious. Thing is, they know me well and know I'm a hunter, outdoorsman, and general "rugged individualist", yet were still shocked by the tamest knife I own.

Anyway, as I said above, I'd buy it again. If I didn't have a pile of knives, I'd consider getting the blade-only version as a thin "gent's knife".

Chris
    I bought two, one orange and one black. My son loves the black one and carries it everywhere. It supplanted his Spyderco. He does use the clip.

I usually don't carry mine. The clip is a cool feature, but as you say, makes it too thick. I think I will follow your lead and remove it. It is riding about in my daily backpack/briefcase.

I have used the serrated short blade: sometimes, bottles with plastic safety sheathing are a challenge to open, as well as other plastic packaging, and the serrated short blade makes short work of them. The screwdriver tip at that angle is usable, but the blade edge on he same tool makes it not quite as "safe" to use.

User Tag List