Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That Smell

That Smell

The living, who are in a state of internal and external decomposition, leach chemicals from their pores known as VFA’s or, “volatile fatty acids.” I deal with these folks on the daily...whether the drug is meth, heroine (other opiates/pills)or crack cocaine, they smell is pungent and pervasive.

I recommend hanging yards of iodoform gauze in the affected areas and increase the ventilation however possible!

civiliandefender.com
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 01-16-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I recommend hanging yards of iodoform gauze in the affected areas and increase the ventilation however possible!
    That's scary. I've been living with the smell of iodoform for the last week and it is affecting my tastebuds. If that's the better option . . . [shivers].

So, I just want to point out - there is a smell in natural history museums globally - napthalene (active ingredient in mothballs). It's an extremely common preservative for natural history collections. A lot of people find it intense and off putting.

I am exceedingly happy that "the smell" that I have in my career is one of alot of mothballs and not of...crack/meth head.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Oh wait, I know that smell!

Name:  06AA8B46-D5D7-415C-95E5-D98E20DD57D6.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  16.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Oh wait, I know that smell!

Name:  06AA8B46-D5D7-415C-95E5-D98E20DD57D6.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  16.9 KB
    No shit on the beds and walls, no food piled up in the corners, no emaciated cats running around. What are you, raiding the Vatican?
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

My experiences were long enough ago that a lot of them blur together.

I do remember an inhalant abuser. His body odor was airplane glue.

Like the good doctor said, oxidizing fatty acids are some of it, combined with poor hygiene.

People that are suddenly fasting/starving often get a sour/acetone smell in their breath and sweat. Comes from the initial switch over from glucose burning to fat burning. Keto folks sometimes find the same when entering ketosis, especially the first few times.

Too much high grade stimulants will keep you in fight or flight mode long enough that I personally think you can smell the adrenaline and cortisol coming off them. Like if you went into a dog pound: smells like fear and aggression.

The particular cat urine smell you get off methheads on binges is from extra nitrogen their bodies keep excreting. Some of this is probably tons of nitric oxide that their vascular system is excreting due to nervous system stimulation, it can also be their bodies catabolizing protein/muscle tissue due to lack of food/constant frantic action in people with poor baseline​ health. Amino acids breaking down = nitrogen (ammonia is NH3).

The worst drug I've come across as far as emitting an odor from users' bodies was Alpha-PVP (flakka, whatever you want to call it). Terrible.

To me, crack and meh users just smell like they need a bath.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So, I just want to point out - there is a smell in natural history museums globally - napthalene (active ingredient in mothballs). It's an extremely common preservative for natural history collections. A lot of people find it intense and off putting.

I am exceedingly happy that "the smell" that I have in my career is one of alot of mothballs and not of...crack/meth head.
    There's a mothball manufacturer here. The guys who work there reek. Their cars reek. I can think of better things to do for minimum wage than bathe in naphthalene.

When I hear someone smells like cat piss...

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List