Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: S&W 642-1

S&W 642-1

That’s really a shame. I guess no firearms manufacturer is what they used to be in terms of true quality. This makes me want to try a Ruger LCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 02-28-2018 at 09:53 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My M&P 340 is home for a month, hopefully getting a new yoke installed. Didn't even get to dry fire it significantly, or take it to the range.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My M&P 340 is home for a month, hopefully getting a new yoke installed. Didn't even get to dry fire it significantly, or take it to the range.
    Sorry to hear that. Did you buy it new or used?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    New. It's the second obviously out-of-the-box defective J-frame I've gotten in ~18 months.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    That is truly a shame. My 442-2 bought in 2013 has about 700 rounds through it with no problems. Smith and Wesson should be ashamed of themselves.

^Agreed.

Site Supporter
    I'm a big S&W fan but not an apologist. I've seen many examples of lemons over the years. In the early 1980s I worked for the Texas prison system. Smith shipped it a large order of M65's that had so many defective specimens that the company sent a crew to Texas to repair them. I had the privilege of observing master fitters work. But today their handguns require much less fitting. Anyway, I've owned a few lemons also. But me point out that Ruger sells its share of defects too. I most definitely will not buy any revolver online. I must be able to inspect the weapon. I'm not a gunsmith by any means but experience permits me to pass judgment within a minute if I can inspect. The good thing is that Smith and Ruger will fix or replace the product.

This statement deserves its own line. The J frame is such a fine revolver that its value to folks like us justifies "warranty service" type inconvenience occasionally encountered.

I’m with Wille. Everyone puts out lemons; more and more it seems with each passing year. But Smith and, especially, Ruger will endeavor to fix it. I had a new Vaquero .44 special sheriff model (a.k.a. ‘hammer n anvil’) lock up on me the first trip to the range, and not only did Ruger pay shipping both ways (Glock, this is my Forrest Whittaker eye stinking up your home office, in case you were wondering what the smell is...), but they *clearly* threw some tuning on the action for my trouble while it was back for two weeks. It came back custom-slick; noticeably improved. Similar deal with a 9mm
    Colt 1911 I send in last year, btw.

Smith’s problem is sometimes things have to come back more than once, but at least they tend to keep at it.

User Tag List