Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 642-1

I forgot all about asking for ammo recommendations. I have lots of learning to do when it comes to .38 Special. I picked up a box of Federal 158 grain lead round nose, just to have something for now. Whats the best/most cost effective for practice? I've seen quite a few different weights so far. I'm not planning to shoot this a ton like I do my Glocks, but I'd like to get some good practice in. Then for SD ammo, I already checked Lucky Gunners test info, but I keep hearing about Doc's writings on SD ammo? Where can I find his work?

Thanks again guys I really appreciate all the help!

Site Supporter
    Doc's recommendations for snubby ammo are in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    I forgot all about asking for ammo recommendations. I have lots of learning to do when it comes to .38 Special. I picked up a box of Federal 158 grain lead round nose, just to have something for now. Whats the best/most cost effective for practice? I've seen quite a few different weights so far. I'm not planning to shoot this a ton like I do my Glocks, but I'd like to get some good practice in. Then for SD ammo, I already checked Lucky Gunners test info, but I keep hearing about Doc's writings on SD ammo? Where can I find his work?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-ACP-vs-38-Sp

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    @Sigfan26 - Great minds...

I carry RA38B (Winchester Ranger Bonded 130gr +P)

Train with AE38K (American Eagle 130gr FMJ)

Both rounds are readily available. The RA38B is on Doc's "good to go" list for carry / defensive ammo.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post

I found speer gold dot 135gr for short barrel +P to be the best for me, but many use 148 grain wadcutters due to POA/POI as well.

Awesome thread. I am interested in a J frame in the future, but not right at the moment. OP that looks like a great find. Congrats and hope it shoots great.

Site Supporter
    As a J frame man of many years, let me put the op's mind at ease. You showed no images or described anything that was out of spec. I don't remember seeing any Smith or other revolver whose forcing cone did not have the tool marks that your images show. If I were to say how many handguns that I've owned, most would think that I was lying. Minor tool marks are part of the game. They are 100% insignificant.

I urge you not to work on or alter your fine gun and to avoid installing after market parts regardless of how famous the maker is.

The ejector rod has a left hand thread which confuses tinkerers. If you remove it again, place the rod between padded jaws of a vice. Also place empties in the chambers to reduce torque against the ejector star. In older Smiths this step was essential. Two pins protruded from the top of the cylinder through the star. Purpose was maintaining alignment. Redesign eliminated the pins. Leather works well as pad. Long ago I learned the hard way not to use pliers. Tape fails as a pad. All of us have scarred a gun or two. You made your one ok mistake with pliers.

You made an excellent purchase and have an outstanding handgun. Selling or trading it would be a mistake.

Is it me, or is there a big chunk missing under the forcing cone?

User Tag List