Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about automated powder dispensers

If you're not prometheus, then GTFO...

JK.

Let's talk about automated powder dispensers

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I’d have to convince myself that my 550 (recently upgraded to 650) loaded 308’s weren’t good enough first.

I shot 5 shot 3/4” groups at 100 yards twice with this ammo - and I’m not convinced the ammo was my limiting factor.

Trickling sounds like an interesting idea, but I’d need to prove to myself that it pays for my needs.
    You will not see the benefits of trickling at 100yds. You can have a very large SD and still punch small groups.

Where it matters is at distance where you will have vertical stringing. Any load you develop needs to be rung out at distance, I usually shoot groups at 500 & 800 before I call it good.

I use a magnetospeed during load development to find the pressure flat spot in the velocity range I’m looking for, then fine tune inside the loads.

With my 6.5, I load 42.6 grains, but 42.5 and 42.7 produce very small SD’s so I can be off a tenth either way and will not have to worry about vertical stringing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TCFD273; 01-16-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    If you're not prometheus, then GTFO...

JK.

When your scale costs 2.5x’s more than your press

[emoji23]

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    You will not see the benefits of trickling at 100yds. You can have a very large SD and still punch small groups.

Where it matters is at distance where you will have vertical stringing. Any load you develop needs to be rung out at distance, I usually shoot groups at 500 & 800 before I call it good.

I use a magnetospeed during load development to find the pressure flat spot in the velocity range I’m looking for, then fine tune inside the loads.

With my 6.5, I load 42.6 grains, but 42.5 and 42.7 produce very small SD’s so I can be off a tenth either way and will not have to worry about vertical stringing.

Thanks for the education! I have access to 500 and 700 yard ranges but sadly rarely make use of them.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 01-17-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I’d have to convince myself that my 550 (recently upgraded to 650) loaded 308’s weren’t good enough first.

I shot 5 shot 3/4” groups at 100 yards twice with this ammo - and I’m not convinced the ammo was my limiting factor.

Trickling sounds like an interesting idea, but I’d need to prove to myself that it pays for my needs.
    If I was loading only ball powder I'd run it through my RCBS or Dillon measures, but extruded powder goes through the Chargemaster.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I’m on Chargemaster #3, #1 and its replacement from RCBS both quit working. Number one was replaced under warranty, #2 was out of warranty, but RCBS sold #3 to me at a steep discount 6-7 years ago. My neighbor is on Chargemaster #4 I believe, but he loads a LOT more with his than I do. My current one has been working fine for a number of years. AFAIK the neighbor’s has been running steady for a while now as well. That being said, I wouldn’t load rifle ammo without one. It drops a new charge in the time it takes to seat a bullet. Very efficient.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Do these charge stations actually save any time at all? It doesn't take me much more than 15 seconds to throw a charge then trickle up on a balance, and I guarantee I'm more consistent than any automatic charge system.
    IME, No. I stopped using my Chargemaster because it takes too long. I have a Harrell measure that'll throw within .1 and I trickle it up.

I prefer my Scott Parker tuned RCBS 1010 over my digital scale. It has 1 kernel sensitivity and is far more consistent.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-23-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    IME, No. I stopped using my Chargemaster because it takes too long. I have a Harrell measure that'll throw within .1 and I trickle it up.

I prefer my Scott Parker tuned RCBS 1010 over my digital scale. It has 1 kernel sensitivity and is far more consistent.
    However, even the Harrell costs as much as every automated powder measure on the market ($2fitty) except for the $3fitty Chargemaster.

I should have a report on my Hornady Auto Charge tonight. Hopefully, I can hit Quantico for long range shooting with @JV_ this weekend (like last weekend).
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 01-24-2018 at 05:55 AM.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    However, even the Harrell costs as much as every automated powder measure on the market
    You don't need a Harrell to throw accurate charges.

All of the Culver style measures work the same way. You could get an RCBS, with the stand, and a powder baffle and it'd work just fine. All of them require a consistent technique when throwing charges. Stop by sometime and I'll tell you how I ended up with the Harrell measures.

What I like about the measure and tuned beam scale is that things like dirty power, florescent lights, and scale drift (warm up times) aren't an issue. There are no keypads that get wonky or warranties figure out. FWIW: I'm on my 2nd Chargemaster.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-24-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    You don't need a Harrell to throw accurate charges.

All of the Culver style measures work the same way. You could get an RCBS, with the stand, and a powder baffle and it'd work just fine. All of them require a consistent technique when throwing charges. Stop by sometime and I'll tell you how I ended up with the Harrell measures.

What I like about the measure and tuned beam scale is that things like dirty power, florescent lights, and scale drift (warm up times) aren't an issue. There are no keypads that get wonky or warranties figure out. FWIW: I'm on my 2nd Chargemaster.
    I'll be by this morning
    #RESIST

User Tag List