Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about automated powder dispensers

Let's talk about automated powder dispensers

I'm looking at a used Lyman 1200 DPS. Backup plan is a new RCBS Chargemaster Lite or a Hornady Auto Charge.

I know that the RCBS Chargemaster is the gold standard but....#PoorFag

Has anyone here tried the Chargemaster Lite, Hornady Auto Charge, or Lyman powder dispensers?
    #RESIST

I know this really isn't the direction you intended this conversation to go, but I gotta ask anyway.

Do these charge stations actually save any time at all? It doesn't take me much more than 15 seconds to throw a charge then trickle up on a balance, and I guarantee I'm more consistent than any automatic charge system.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I know this really isn't the direction you intended this conversation to go, but I gotta ask anyway.

Do these charge stations actually save any time at all? It doesn't take me much more than 15 seconds to throw a charge then trickle up on a balance, and I guarantee I'm more consistent than any automatic charge system.
    If they work, sure.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post

Unless you can measure powder and seat bullets at the same time it will save you time. My RCBS is also accurate.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I cannot speak to anything other than the RCBS Chargemaster. It's been a great machine. I use the "McDonald's straw trick" and very seldom experience over or under charges. Best, ELN.

I had a chargemaster that went tits up after about a year. It looks like the Lite would do everything I used it for.

Sorry for the derail but what press is this for? Are you doing rifle rounds on something other than the 650?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have the Hornady Auto Charge. I load a variety of rifle calibers - I have a Dillon 550 set up with large primer feed and a "308" shell plate. With that setup, I "semi-auto" load 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 3006, and soon 280 AI. I say "semi-auto" as I do not use the Dillon powder drop. I use the Dillon 550 with an extra head and the appropriate deprime/size die to do case prep for all the caliber I am loading - say 3006. Then I use a Worlds Cheapest Trimmer to trim then a RCBS motorized station to finish the case mouth. Then I re-tumble all the brass to get off the case lube. Then I go back to the 550 put on the appropriate 550 head with case charging die minus powder drop but with funnel and the bullet seating die and then a factory crimp die. I have the Hornady Auto Charge set up next to the 550. I feed in the prep'ed brass, prime, measure the powder on the Hornady Auto Charge and put into the case with a funnel, then seat bullet, and crimp. Once set up, every time I pull the handle I get one loaded rifle round out. This may not be the fastest but it gets me a true weighed powder charge and keeps me from constantly setting up the Dillon powder drops for short rifle runs.

For 223, I have another 550 set up to "full auto" load 223 using the same bullet (77 grain) and the same powder charge with the Dillon powder drop. I load/shoot a lot more 223 than hunting/target loads.

I have a third 550 set up for 9mm and it is "full auto" but I use Lee dies and the Lee disc style powder drop. I have a head set up in 40 with Lee dies that work on "9mm" 550 as required. I have a 45ACP head that I use to load 45 on the "rifle" 550 - I do not load as much 45 any more - mostly 9mm now.

Been loading a long time and picked up 550s as they showed up used as "deals". One from a retiring reloader and two from reloaders moving to 650/1050.
    Last edited by ranger; 01-16-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I had a chargemaster that went tits up after about a year. It looks like the Lite would do everything I used it for.

Sorry for the derail but what press is this for? Are you doing rifle rounds on something other than the 650?
    Yeah, my 1967 model RCBS Jr2.
    #RESIST

I’d have to convince myself that my 550 (recently upgraded to 650) loaded 308’s weren’t good enough first.

I shot 5 shot 3/4” groups at 100 yards twice with this ammo - and I’m not convinced the ammo was my limiting factor.

Trickling sounds like an interesting idea, but I’d need to prove to myself that it pays for my needs.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 01-16-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    I am not saying the Dillon powder drop is not accurate - I am saying that I use the Hornady Auto Charge because I load multiple calibers and do not want to keep setting up the Dillon Powder Drop. I have one load for 223 and on that one I use the Dillon Powder Drop.

User Tag List