Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use night sights on J frame?

Anyone use night sights on J frame?

I have a S&W model 60 that I carry a lot. I have debated changing the front sight. I shoot it well from 0-25 yards. I like the idea of the sight but don't want to decrease my accuracy at the cost of tinkering. I currently have the front ramp painted but wonder if an XS or other front sight would be better.

Site Supporter
    I have 2 642s and a 340 M&P. From my experience, if one can see the square post/notch sights on the 642 (assuming your 60 has the newer dimensions post/notch that they started using in the late 1990s) they are capable of more accuracy. It's just easier for your eye to tell when straight lines are misaligned than it is curved lines. I seem to have to concentrate a lot more to shoot the 340 accurately.
    Perhaps a better solution instead of putting an xs sight on the front would be to see if Tool Tech gunsite can install just a tritium vial in your 60 front sight. Cheapest would be a set of lasergrips.
    Adam

I had a XS sight installed on my 642 by a gunsmith. For me and my ever-declining 47 year old eyesight, it was a huge improvement and worth the investment.

The gun nut in me though would advise you to buy something along the lines of this, buy and install a XS sight, and leave your model 60 intact.

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    I had a XS sight installed on my 642 by a gunsmith. For me and my ever-declining 47 year old eyesight, it was a huge improvement and worth the investment.

The gun nut in me though would advise you to buy something along the lines of this, buy and install a XS sight, and leave your model 60 intact.
    Well my 60 is well used and many miles. My eye sight may or may not be the best and probably isnt getting any better.

The Big Dot night sight is the main reason I bought my M&P340. I didn't really care about the fact that it was scandium or a .357. If they made a 642 with the same sight, I would have bought it.

I think the Big Dot night sight is the best sight you can get on a stock j-frame.

I just painted mine with glow on paint. One hit with my tac light at they are GTG for about 5 minutes

I installed a XS front night sight on my 640-1 & I really like it. Apologies for the crappy pic.

Last edited by LOBO; 01-17-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    I installed a XS front night sight on my 640-1 & I really like it. Apologies for the crappy pic.

Is that the standard or big XS sight?

Regarding the "gunsmithing" involved in the glue on Big Dot:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I had my friend help me mill the first one, but am getting ready to do the next one with files. The instructions make it sound like it is some precisely configured dimension, but they really just have you shape the ramp into a stub. Don't know if you want to do it, just saying it should be able to be done without professional help that may require shipping.

The biggest drawback I see in this is when the sight is depleted it will still be glued onto the gun.

Adding photos for example:

Painted it November 2016 and is still going strong. I sealed with clear nail polish after it dried. I carry the 442 appendix almost daily so it gets used. Hasn't come off

Daylight it appears almost white for quicker acquisition:

Lower light:

1 quick and I mean quick hit of light from the back using a streamlight microstream (35 lumen) in my weakhand:

1 quick hit from my 345 lumen tac light:

It lasts 5 minutes or more after you hit it once

On the charter Bulldog

I cannot recommend it enough. Best upgrade to any fixed site revolver and it only costs $10. I did all my revolvers this way.
    Last edited by eb07; 01-17-2018 at 08:49 AM.

User Tag List