Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Got a few rat BFTs today, but it’s always nice to get fish on the first offshore trip of the year.
    Only some blue fin? Boohoo!

#Jealous

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Only some blue fin? Boohoo!

#Jealous

fair enough haha

We got the size models we were after today, also paid the tax man twice.

Name:  IMG_6314.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  39.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_6299.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_6330.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  40.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6331.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  32.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Just spent the weekend in Lincoln, NH. Now I want to learn tenkara style fly fishing.
    Two years later and halfway across the continent, I finally bought a tenkara style rod. I want to try it on some of the local cricks, streams and small rivers. I also hear there is good water for this style of fishing in the hill country.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Fly fishing is completely new for me. I used to boat fish walleye and pike in north Ontario, and shore fish using cast ultralight and various length fixed line bream poles in Illinois - but I haven’t fished in years. I just signed up for an intro to fly fishing including Tenkara at a fishing shop down in Round Rock for the end of August, hopefully I’ll be out of this collar by then.

Supposedly we have a few small rock bottom streams and rivers within ten or fifteen miles of home that are good for Tenkara style fishing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

More Sashimi

Also managed to hook an estimated 80-100” fish on the gear we use for these school sized tuna. We fought it for an hour before it finally chafed through the 60lb leader. We got one look at it early when it was tail wrapped but that was it. It would have been cool to get the hero shot and swim/ensure a proper release on it but oh well we were very outclassed. Pretty much the equivalent of bringing a butterknife to war.

Name:  IMG_6381.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  34.7 KB

The Bluefin bonanza continues, got some good guys on fish yesterday and we all had a blast despite hitting a log in the dark on the way out.

Name:  IMG_6436.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  71.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6444.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  41.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_6462.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  44.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_4875.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  43E0B2DF-D8AB-488E-A57E-15653E42A76B.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  23.6 KB

Took the kayak to the local state park last night. All I caught was this little (six to eight inch) catfish on an ultra light rig. First cat from the kayak and first cat in many years. Now I want to go after bigger ones.

The offshore season is coming closer and closer to ending but I’ve been able to put together a solid year. My last trip this Tuesday we went 9 for 19 hookups. Not a great ratio but the action was hot and heavy. Seeing these fish rocket themselves out of the water to eat a popper is such a rush.

Name:  Resized_20230905_061649.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  25.2 KB
    Name:  Resized_20230905_140102.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  78.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_6620.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  36.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    The offshore season is coming closer and closer to ending but I’ve been able to put together a solid year. My last trip this Tuesday we went 9 for 19 hookups. Not a great ratio but the action was hot and heavy. Seeing these fish rocket themselves out of the water to eat a popper is such a rush.

Name:  Resized_20230905_061649.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  25.2 KB
    Name:  Resized_20230905_140102.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  78.4 KB
    That water is my kind of flat.. Looks like a great time...

What are you doing with all that tuna (and Mahi)?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    That water is my kind of flat.. Looks like a great time...

What are you doing with all that tuna (and Mahi)?
    A whole host of things, much of it goes to myself and my crew and gets consumed/vacuum sealed. Some of it is used to barter for stuff like my buddies beef they slaughter or as payment for favors. And some of it gets sold. All the Mahi Mahi get turned into tacos though!

User Tag List