Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing

My wife and I are taking an inland charter for 8 hours pretty soon. We live on the gulf coast, and we've only fished from shore. The plan is Tarpon, Snook, and Red. Our guide posts consistently awesome pictures and is a native. If it goes well, I may eventually do a guided duck hunt with him to learn the ropes.

We're really excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    That's awesome!

But, now I'm embarrassed to post any photos of the 2-pound Blues and 4-pound Speckled (sea) Trout I caught recently.
    SIL caught a 40-pound Drum off the beach a week or so ago but had to let it go because it was bigger than the allowed size.

Was hoping to catch a Hammerhead. Several had been caught off the beach recently... No joy.
    Thanks! No need to be embarrassed at all post em up, having fun is what matters.

Site Supporter
    Name:  868911FF-8FAF-489F-A756-DD707060A34A.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  35.3 KB
    Nothing big, but fun on a fly rod.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Name:  868911FF-8FAF-489F-A756-DD707060A34A.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  35.3 KB
    Nothing big, but fun on a fly rod.
    Little bass and pan fish out of small creeks on either fly line or ultra light spinning rigs is my favorite kind of fishing.

Name:  IMG_20220724_101343.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  23.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220724_102737.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  41.3 KB

I didn't even have the canoe off the car and he was catching fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    My wife and I are taking an inland charter for 8 hours pretty soon. We live on the gulf coast, and we've only fished from shore. The plan is Tarpon, Snook, and Red. Our guide posts consistently awesome pictures and is a native. If it goes well, I may eventually do a guided duck hunt with him to learn the ropes.

We're really excited about it.
    Fishing was tomorrow. Our charter guide didn't contact us. So I reached out. He didnt remember who we were. Then he told us it didnt look good this weekend, how about next weekend. He's the one who gave us the date that tides would be best, the weather looks to finally not rain in the afternoon, and we've been excited. He just seemed super not interested in taking us, and struck me as over all unprofessional. A real departure from his social media, website, and the first time we texted.

Didn't think spending $700 for 8 hours of fishing with a guide who didnt really want to guide us sounded like a good time. Plus, just seemed like the guy didnt make sense in his reasoning. Everything lines up but his attitude. So we backed out. We had asked about making the deposit his website mentioned 3 different times, but never got a real answer. Glad we never made one because we'd have lost it by backing out.

It was going to be between our wedding anniversary and our relationship anniversary sort of pulling double duty to celebrate. It was also going to be something fun to do as a couple before I start working days and going to school nights.

We're pretty crushed.

Site Supporter
    Fishing was tomorrow. Our charter guide didn't contact us. So I reached out. He didnt remember who we were. Then he told us it didnt look good this weekend, how about next weekend. He's the one who gave us the date that tides would be best, the weather looks to finally not rain in the afternoon, and we've been excited. He just seemed super not interested in taking us, and struck me as over all unprofessional. A real departure from his social media, website, and the first time we texted.

Didn't think spending $700 for 8 hours of fishing with a guide who didnt really want to guide us sounded like a good time. Plus, just seemed like the guy didnt make sense in his reasoning. Everything lines up but his attitude. So we backed out. We had asked about making the deposit his website mentioned 3 different times, but never got a real answer. Glad we never made one because we'd have lost it by backing out.

It was going to be between our wedding anniversary and our relationship anniversary sort of pulling double duty to celebrate. It was also going to be something fun to do as a couple before I start working days and going to school nights.

We're pretty crushed.
    Man, that sucks. He’s got to have some competition. Maybe call another Capt and see if they want your money? I’m sure you have, but don’t give up on a good time!

We're pretty crushed.
    That certainly sucks. Thankfully he tipped his hand early enough to allow you to avoid financial damage.

Fishing was tomorrow. Our charter guide didn't contact us. So I reached out. He didnt remember who we were.

Everything lines up but his attitude. So we backed out.

We're pretty crushed.
    Not the kind of fishing memory you want to remember, but it's probably better than if you had actually gone with a seemingly disinterested guide.

The contrast showed vividly many years ago on a trip to MT. Four of us had gone, and had a float trip down the Yellowstone lined up with two guides. Trip was in beautiful mid-September weather, except on this one day. Cloudy, cook and intermittent rain. Our guide was prepared and remained focused on trying to put us on fish (it was a slow day). The "high point" of the trip came at lunch. Both boats pulled off on a long gravel bar. The other guys' guide had cold sandwiches, cold drinks, and a lukewarm attitude. And he didn't offer to share coffee from what was clearly an individual-sized thermos. Our guide broke out a stove, grilled some salmon and hot tea, and cracked stories about the area, fishing and the day's weather. The good, 100 feet away from the bad and the ugly. We still laugh about the contrast.

Hopefully the next trip will be better, and you can share the good memories, and shake your head and laugh at the bad.

Point to consider for flats and backcountry trips for tarpon, etc.: If it's a trip you've really planned for, and are really excited about, but the day is windy and overcast, and you ask the guide what he thinks about the prospects - - - and he says "We can go out if you really want to . . ." - - - ask him if you can buy him breakfast instead.

(Seriously, do get a clear understanding from the guide about rates for a trip that gets shortened by weather. Some say if they leave the dock, you owe them for a full day. Others charge only a partial rate, or half day rate. But if the guide says it's a no go, there should be no cost; any deposit should be refunded. Being clear on that helps you decide whether to go out or not.

I agree with everything stated above, I’ll add there’s a crop of guides/captains that are more interested in social media glory than actually serving their clients. To the point I see these guys doing more fishing than their clients. I’m hoping you’re able to find another guide and salvage the plan, and one more deserving of your hard earned coin at that.

Obligatory pics
    Name:  D8A9273D-D7F5-4331-96AA-C43B985CF45E.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  49B50D60-9166-4253-A74D-CA2B9B67D79E.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  1DA01E42-840A-4EA2-B2B4-8508BE57904E.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  50.7 KB
    Name:  B524DE7B-2779-4665-9BA0-FF6940543CD8.jpg
Views: 256