Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 66

Some better pics.

Wow...pinned...recessed...downright beautiful. Congrats.

-Rainman

Sorry but I’m kinda new to guns. What do you mean by pinned and recessed?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Heymatt View Post
    Sorry but I’m kinda new to guns. What do you mean by pinned and recessed?
    http://www.guns.com/2011/05/26/a-qui...son-revolvers/

prior to 1982, Smith & Wesson revolvers had the barrel attached to the frame by a pin through the rear of the barrel. This was seen as a mark of quality by the factory and is a bonus to collectors, even though it doesn’t affect the value.
    In 1935 Smith & Wesson introduced the .357 Registered Magnum revolver and with it with recessed cylinders. This was done to protect the rim of the cartridge and was a feature on all Magnum chambered revolvers as well as .22 Long Rifle cylinders. In 1982 this was another feature eliminated by the factory except on the .22 Long Rifle revolvers. However, it is not uncommon to find some Magnum revolvers having just a pinned barrel or a recessed cylinder, but not both, these are known as transitional guns and have a small following, even though again the value is not affected.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-03-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xray 99 View Post
    If I recall, a dashless M66 should have solid white stainless sights front and rear.
    Not always. I had a no dash that did have the all stainless front, but had a black rear. I suppose the rear could have been replaced but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it had never had the side plate off of it until I got it. It had the wide target trigger, I hate those, so I stupidly sold it.

Thanks for the info. Next question. Is that an unusual style of grip with the silver insert? Or just someone’s personal taste?

The "silver insert" is not part of the grips--it is a separate part that clips on to the revolver's frame and is held in place by the grip panels. It most likely is a "Tyler-T Grip" adapter and was a common accessory for S&W revolvers that had the standard, magna-style, grips, because it fills in the front of the grip and places the weight of the revolver higher in the hand. The grips on your gun are magna style, and they appear to be made from ivory micarta judging from the appearance of the grain. They are not factory grips, and if you remove them they may be marked with a maker's mark indicating where they came from.
    Last edited by oregon45; 02-03-2018 at 11:02 PM.

So, I should be able to remove the “Tylers T Grip” and just use the wood grips alone?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Heymatt View Post
    So, I should be able to remove the “Tylers T Grip” and just use the wood grips alone?
    You could, but there is a reason shooters added grip adaptors and other grips which fill I’m the same area filled in by the grip adaptor.

The magna style grip alone places the weight lower. This is an aid to retaining the gun if someone is trying to twist it out of your hand but for shooting quickly and accurately the grip adaptor or comparable grips are superior.

User Tag List