Thread: Ruger discontinued the .223 RPR, CDNN has the last ones

Ruger discontinued the .223 RPR, CDNN has the last ones

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    Will be interesting to see if they will replace 223 with 22 Valkyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Will be interesting to see if they will replace 223 with 224 Valkyrie.
    Agreed and I hadn’t thought of that. I’d like to take one of those to shoot prairie dogs.
    #RESIST

At 9.8 pounds, before you put glass on top, this is strictly a bench rest rifle or praire dog rifle?

I mean is there something to precision shooting that is going to make a 5.56 bolt gun a better buy over a 6.5CM RPR (or other bolt precision rifle) or a 18-20" HBAR AR? I'm being serious, what I know about precision rifle shooting can fit into a thimble with room left over.

My plan is to punch paper out to 1000 yards and hogs from the other side of the cornfield (probably 500m)....
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-15-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    At 9.8 pounds, before you put glass on top, this is strictly a bench rest rifle or praire dog rifle?

I mean is there something to precision shooting that is going to make a 5.56 bolt gun a better buy over a 6.5CM RPR (or other bolt precision rifle) or a 18-20" HBAR AR? I'm being serious, what I know about precision rifle shooting can fit into a thimble with room left over.

My plan is to punch paper out to 1000 yards and hogs from the other side of the cornfield (probably 500m)....
    Ammo cost, recoil accumulation might make it a well-considered option vs a higher powered round in a bolt rifle. Other than that, not much.

Vs a precision AR? Supposedly, a precision AR weighs as much, and costs more, and that was the point to building these. I *think* I could get pretty close, though, and probably with less weight, for the same or less money in an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Ammo cost, recoil accumulation might make it a well-considered option vs a higher powered round in a bolt rifle. Other than that, not much.
    Okay, that's kind of what I thought. I figured 5.56 makes sense if you 1) Have a ton invested in this caliber and the AR platform in general. 2) Made more sense in terms of lower recoil before 6.5 Creedmoor burst onto the scene. I realize 6.5CM costs about another 20-30 cents a round over match grade 5.56 (thinking 77-grain Sierra Matchkings)...but you're also getting a bullet that's nearly double in weight (140-grain vs. 77-grain) and better ballistic coefficient.

Vs a precision AR? Supposedly, a precision AR weighs as much, and costs more, and that was the point to building these. I *think* I could get pretty close, though, and probably with less weight, for the same or less money in an AR.
    Okay, that's also what I figured.

Ruger had a tough time selling the SR556VT and it was discontinued a short time after launch. I guess nobody wants a heavy 223.

I think the only thing that remains of that gun is the "match" trigger that now comes standard with the 556 and 762.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    gun.deals shows lots of other sellers with much better prices.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List