Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with malfunctioning Glocks *Pics* and details (G32.4) (G19.4)

Help with malfunctioning Glocks *Pics* and details (G32.4) (G19.4)

My Background
    Since I am the one consistent variable across both guns lol, I have received professional pistol instruction in the form of about 2 weeks of firearms/pistol at an LE academy (am not and never was sworn), local pistol classes, and advanced pistol with LAV. I also have a Gen4 G19 with over 4,000 flawless rounds and have owned or extensively fired, with zero malfunctions, 10mm and .45 ACP Glocks as well as other pistols (but mostly the Glocks). All this to say, I have an idea what I am doing and am quite certain my grip or technique is not a contributing factor.

The G32 Gen4 Background
    New pistol, very recent. All I have done is add some Slip 2000 EWL, then after a range trip wipe it down quick with a rag and apply a little more Slip 2000 EWL.

I am 365 rounds in, all 125gr
    50 Prvi Partizan TMJ (manufacture claims 1,540 FPS and I believe them), no malfunctions
    100 Speer Gold Dot JHP, no malfunctions
    40 Underwood 125gr bonded JHP(Gold Dot Bullet), this load tests on YouTube at greater than 1,500 FPS in a G32. No malfunctions (does not feel hotter than the Prvi, either, and has less flash)
    50 WWB FMJ, no malfunctions
    125 Speer Lawman 125gr FMJ, 2 bad malfunctions (with different mags)

It's "only" 2 malfunctions, and early on, but I don't believe in break in periods, these are factory Glock mags, should-be-good factory ammo, and bad malfunctions (don't think I ever had to do remedial action with a Glock before these)...and .357 Sig ammo is expensive I didn't want to spend a ton of money proving this gun reliable. ugh

I haven't had this happen before either.

G32.4 Malfunction 1
    Second range trip, around the 140th or so round fired through the gun. Speer Lawman 125gr FMJ. Last round out of the mag. Of note, I did a Dot Torture to start the day with no malfunctions including the 5 rounds strong hand only and 5 rounds weak hand only.

Third range trip, over 300 rounds in total at this point, second round out of a different magazine than the first malfunction

After removing the mag (WTF?)

What gives?

G19.4
    This one is also new, malfunctioning the same days as the new G32. Did I mention that I am frustrated by this? As above I applied Slip 2000 EWL when new, wiped off and re-applied after the range, nothing else.

It has 355 rounds fired, main point here is most of the rounds were brass case and worked, both malfunctions were Wolf steel case in Magpul magazines and that combination doesn't even feel right when loading by hand. I'm not nearly as concerned with this one since: 1) I have a great G19 already so there's no 'rush' to get this one proven, 2) 9mm ammo is much cheaper to use to 'prove' it and I have much more, 3) Malfunctions were cheap steel in non-Glock mags.

But, WTF?

I am extremely frustrated with this. Am I overreacting? Should I just keep shooting them and see what happens? Anything specific to look at with the guns, mags, ammo, or myself?
    Last edited by Steaz; 01-14-2018 at 10:42 PM.

I don't know what happened with the 32 but steel case in Magpul mags is not going to work. It doesn't have anything to do with the gun.

ETA: I see the pics now. With the 32 looks like you have a weak mag spring causing an inertia feed on #1 and a real double feed on #2, which appears to be an inertia feed and the slide catching the top of the case of the second round and tipping it down into the mag. Glock 40s are problematic, I don't expect a 357 to be any different. I would start with some stronger mag springs.

Magpul mags don't feed steel case.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 01-14-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I don't know what happened with the 32 but steel case in Magpul mags is not going to work. It doesn't have anything to do with the gun.

ETA: I see the pics now. With the 32 looks like you have a weak mag spring causing an inertia feed on #1 and a real double feed on #2, which appears to be an inertia feed and the slide catching the top of the case of the second round and tipping it down into the mag. Glock 40s are problematic, I don't expect a 357 to be any different. I would start with some stronger mag springs.

Magpul mags don't feed steel case.
    Thanks. I didn't know about issues with steel case in Magpul mags but as I said, they didn't feel or work right even when loading them at home so that wasn't too worrisome...just frustrating in the same range trips as the G32 messing up.

I know the sample size is small, but the Lawman ammo that both G32 malfunctions happened with is the weakest/slowest rated of the four types I have fired. The Prvi Partizan rated 1,541 and the Underwood Gold Dot are both noticeably hotter so it seems weird they functioned buuut I only have 90 rounds combined of those two...and I have fired more Lawman than the others so more opportunity for issues.
    Last edited by Steaz; 01-14-2018 at 11:08 PM.

My Magpul mags work with Winchester Forged steel cased ammo but there have been enough people complaining that the combo of Magpul and Wolf ammo would also be my first guess as to the issues with your G19. Especially since you didn't have issues with brass cased in OEM mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Steaz View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know about issues with steel case in Magpul mags but as I said, they didn't feel or work right even when loading them at home so that wasn't too worrisome...just frustrating in the same range trips as the G32 messing up.

I know the sample size is small, but the Lawman ammo that both G32 malfunctions happened with is the weakest/slowest rated of the four types I have fired. The Prvi Partizan rated 1,541 and the Underwood Gold Dot are both noticeably hotter so it seems weird they functioned buuut I only have 90 rounds combined of those two...and I have fired more Lawman than the others so more opportunity for issues.
    Hotter amo will exacerbate the inertia feeding, try more of it and see what happens. I used to see those very same malfs quite frequently in 1911s. Usually a mag spring problem.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Hotter amo will exacerbate the inertia feeding, try more of it and see what happens. I used to see those very same malfs quite frequently in 1911s. Usually a mag spring problem.

So what's your recommendation? Perhaps a Wolff +10% mag spring and try again?

I need to look into the aftermarket recoil springs/guide rod perhaps as well.

I want to change *something* quantitative right now before I burn through more .357 Sig ammo. I also don't have any more of the Prvi on hand at the moment. Ordered but not shipped.
    Last edited by Steaz; 01-14-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Stronger mags springs won't hurt. I don't know what to do with the recoil spring, but I would try one thing at a time to see what it does.

I dug around the basement and found a couple Wolff +10% mag springs for yadayada G32 13 round. A little swearing, small finger cut/blood, and one marred mag body later, two of the G32 mags have the Wolff springs now.

Site Supporter
    It looks magazine and/or ammo related to me.

I too notice reliable malfunctions when using steel cased ammo in magpuls. Its so predictable its a great training tool.

Forgot to mention...I have some really worn out 92 mags that are 10 years old on the original springs. If I drop them during training they will rotate the rounds around.
    Last edited by fixer; 01-15-2018 at 07:30 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have issues with Magpul mags too. Steel case ammo tends to bind the mags and delay presentation of the next cartridge, causing failures in otherwise 100% reliable guns. I shoot on a very dusty range in the high prairie of eastern CO, which likely exacerbates the problem. No problems with my OEM mags.

User Tag List