Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 5×5 Classifier ( Abbreviated)

I looked at it today. As a single part of an overall classifier I think it's fine and looks basic and fun, but as the sole test to determine someone's level it tests a very narrow set of abilities and is not representative of a shooter's overall ability in pistol competition.

Also, the times listed need to be overhauled but that is a whole different can of worms regarding what IDPA defines as a "master" level shooter (assuming no misses you can make it with a lethargic 2 second draw and .4 splits here). They get the benefit of the doubt on that though since it's obviously just a theoretical test at this point.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-19-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Interesting that the scores haven't changed from when this drill was created despite IDPA going to 1 point = 1 second down.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Interesting that the scores haven't changed from when this drill was created despite IDPA going to 1 point = 1 second down.
    Not to quote myself but this article addresses the change to -1 and the use of the 5x5 drill as a Classifier.

The story behind the 5x5 Classifier

I'm happy to see that it can be imbedded into a match to classify shooters. When I first started shooting IDPA, it was frustrating trying to find a classifier.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm happy to see that it can be imbedded into a match to classify shooters. When I first started shooting IDPA, it was frustrating trying to find a classifier.
    +1

I shot for years before I managed to find a local classifier match.

If only IDPA would allow unclassified members to shoot Level 2 matches or above like another popular shooting sport...

+1
    I shot for years before I managed to find a local classifier match.
    x3

I shot two state matches and a 'world' match before ever shooting a classifier.

IDPA will support all three classifiers for members starting in January 2018.

http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/idpa/5x5Classifier.pdf

With the 'abbreviated' 5x5 classifier, problems getting classified will become a thing of the past.

As a match director I like it for this reason:

Every year at IDPA, every match director can count on the fact there will be
    competitors registered for their match needing to shoot a quick classifier so they
    are eligible to compete at a sanctioned event. This is often imposed on the MD as
    if it was their problem to solve and it was an imposition on clubs and MD’s to
    accommodate these shooters. Setting up the 3 stage classifier and running a small
    number of shooters often caused problems when clubs did not have this on their
    calendar.

The 5x5 will be quick to set up and could even be a stage in the match.
    Last edited by Amp; 01-24-2018 at 10:25 AM.

as noted in the explanation of the 5x5, they split it up and made it into 2 stages at a Tier 4 match. not to classify shooters, but to obtain data for setting the times. but now, you could do likewise at a sanctioned match, and make it so that in addition to shooting the match, you also get a current classifier score, with the possibility of a bump either way. either by winning your division, or by shooting the classifier stages well enough to get a bump. that will smoke out those who have been sandbagging for years. i like it. and as others have noted, way easier to set up and run as part of a local match, or a special one off classifier.

I shot it tonight at a local club.

I never have to classify again.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List