Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Bulge Buster

Site Supporter

Lee Bulge Buster

I shoot at a private outdoor range and many shooters leave their brass - I pick up range brass and reload. I have reloaded 45ACP for decades - lately I have seen a rash of 45 brass that has some form of bulge that prevents reliable functioning and I am using a Lee undersized sizing die. No, I do not know why there is so much bulged 45 or where it is coming from - confident it is not coming from my 1911. I have been case gauging all my 45 reloads and putting the "fails" in a box. The percentage of fails reached a point that I needed to do something so I bought a Lee Bulge Buster kit along with a second Lee crimp die. Using a RCBS single stage press, I set up the Lee Bulge Buster kit and ran all my "bulged" 45 though. Seems to work well and seems to have saved a bunch of 45 reloads. I will try 9mm next.

I use the Lee FCD to do the same with 9mm, works well, I never have to mess with it, and my rounds made on my 650 case gauge perfectly.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I use the Lee FCD to do the same with 9mm, works well, I never have to mess with it, and my rounds made on my 650 case gauge perfectly.
    I use Lee dies on my Dillon 550. Lee undersized crimp die, Lee disc powder drops, and the Lee FCD. Use Lee setups in 9, 40, 45, and 380 on my Dillon 550s - plus Lee rifle dies too. Even then, I had some bulged 45 coming through - the bulges are so close to the rim that the dies are not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I use Lee dies on my Dillon 550. Lee undersized crimp die, Lee disc powder drops, and the Lee FCD. Use Lee setups in 9, 40, 45, and 380 on my Dillon 550s - plus Lee rifle dies too. Even then, I had some bulged 45 coming through - the bulges are so close to the rim that the dies are not getting it.
    Ah, copy. Glad I’ve never had to step up to the bulge buster.

Also, I sure love the Dillon 550.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Reloading for .40 with range brass pretty much requires the bulge buster.

The idea of bulges .45 Auto cases is sort of scary.
    My own rule is that if I can SEE the bulge, the case is ruined.
    For 9x19 and 9x21, I use the Lee 9mm Mak FCD to bust bulges.
    Amazing how even my light .40 S&W loads need bulge busting so often that I just gave up and do ALL of them.
    Just as an aside, I prefer, where possible, to use my barrel for a gage and run a Plunk test.
    Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.
    Remove and inspect the round:
    1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long
    2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
    3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
    4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
    5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.
    This lets me SOLVE the problem instead of just setting it aside...
    Last edited by noylj; 01-15-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Glock barrels cause much of this.
    #RESIST

Question True that!!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Glock barrels cause much of this.
    My 9mm reloads plunk right into a S&W 39 chamber.

Not so into my Gen4 Glock.

The scratch on the Glock round is just below middle of case.

Most every round of a box of 50 has same scratched place.

Can all the cases be buldged to start?

Quote Originally Posted by tankpondman View Post
    My 9mm reloads plunk right into a S&W 39 chamber.

Not so into my Gen4 Glock.

The scratch on the Glock round is just below middle of case.

Most every round of a box of 50 has same scratched place.

Can all the cases be buldged to start?
    If they were fired out of a Glock.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I set up the Lee Bulge Buster kit and ran all my "bulged" 45 though. Seems to work well and seems to have saved a bunch of 45 reloads. I will try 9mm next.
    First, kudos for gauging your handloads. I do the same for ALL my pistol handloads, don't ask me why.

Second, if you BB 9mm, you will need the bushing from the 9mm Makarov Lee FCD to make this work. It works well for me. Like Duelist, I have to BB 40SW more than anything else I load.
    Last edited by sparkyv; 09-21-2019 at 07:16 AM.

User Tag List