Thread: POA/POI for RA30B in 4" Fixed Sight Revolvers?

Site Supporter

POA/POI for RA30B in 4" Fixed Sight Revolvers?

I've got both fixed- and adjustable-sight revolvers in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum. In order to simplify logistics, I've standardized on 158 grain loads in both calibers, since S&W fixed-sight 4" guns are regulated for that bullet weight. The loads I've settled on are the Remington +P LSWC-HP in .38 and the same company's SJHP in .357.

It's time to replenish my supply. No problem with the .357, but there ain't no bleepin' .38 in my preferred flavor nowhere, no how. OTOH, the Winchester Ranger 130 grain +P JHP is all over the place and cheaper than the Remington, plus it looks like it'd be easier to speedload.

Has anyone tried this stuff in a 4" fixed-sight gun? If so, how much difference is there in POA/POI? If it's negligible, I'll just buy a short case of the stuff and call it good.

With no intent of derailing your thread, I would suggest you consider the Federal and Winchester offerings for your .38 ammo. We carried the LSWCHP +P as a duty load back in the day and sourcing it was spotty way back then so we used it interchangeably with the Federal & Winchester loadings.

As to performance, the Winchester load was the most accurate, Federal was the fastest and the Remington load had the lowest velocity of the three.

I said all to just to say they all of those loads shot very close to the sights on our fixed sight K-Frame revolvers and I suspect terminal performance was quite similar despite their differences.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    With no intent of derailing your thread, I would suggest you consider the Federal and Winchester offerings for your .38 ammo. We carried the LSWCHP +P as a duty load back in the day and sourcing it was spotty way back then so we used it interchangeably with the Federal & Winchester loadings.

As to performance, the Winchester load was the most accurate, Federal was the fastest and the Remington load had the lowest velocity of the three.

I said all to just to say they all of those loads shot very close to the sights on our fixed sight K-Frame revolvers and I suspect terminal performance was quite similar despite their differences.
    I have considered that. About 10-15 years ago I used the Federal version and was happy with it. It seems, though, that Federal has changed their bullet supplier and while the velocities are about the same as they were then, current testing I've found indicates that the present version doesn't expand. It's a shame, since the Federal version is available and relatively cheap. (Maybe the current performance is why it's available and cheap.) The current Winchester version is Plan B if the RA30B thing doesn't work out, but it's relatively expensive.

I know Doc disapproves of using clear gel for testing, but the Lucky Gunner testing is the best available open source information for current .38/.357 non-snub defensive ammo. It includes all three flavors of LSWC-HP ammo from both 2" and 4" revolvers. If someone has a source for testing in 10% gel to official standards, I'd love to see it. My guess is that it's not out there because there's no law enforcement market for this load.

I can't answer your specific question, but it is a sad commentary that .38 Special of any decent kind is hard to locate these days. Back in the day, I could walk into any local gun store and buy any variety of .38 bullet weight/style that was manufactured. When you do find it, it likely has an inch of dust on it and they still want top dollar for it. Glad that my retiring LE buddies unloaded their closets of all that "old" .38 & .357 fodder. Rant off.

Site Supporter
    I shot some 135 grain Gold dot through a .38 GP-100 and it hit 4” low at ten yards.
    This gun gets the Remington LHP for defense use. My supply of it is down to about a handful left over from my duty revolver days.
    My ‘75 M10 shoots to POA with the Ranger bonded round.
    I tend to load my old .38s with the 158 grain load and my 442-2 gets the Speer Gold Dot or Ranger Bonded 130-ish +P rounds. They shoot POA in the newer snub.
    It would be interesting to see how Smith has the newer lock equipped M10/64 guns regulated.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 01-14-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    I found a box of Winchester Winchester W38SPLD, which is apparently the civilian packaging of the RA38B load, and some Speer short barrel GD 135 grain .357 to the range with my 4" M13-2. Using a B8 repair center at about 12 yards with a six o'clock hold, the Winchester load printed half on and half off the bottom of the paper, and the Speer load printed just off the bottom of the paper.

I resigned myself to getting some of the Winchester LHP load to tide me over until the Remington stuff came back in stock at the usual places. I made one final check around and found that Bud's had apparently just gotten some Remington in at $11/box cheaper than the Winchester, so I have a couple of boxes of that coming in now. I also found out that I qualify for their "professional" pricing. Looks like they'll be getting more of my business in the future.

User Tag List