Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Case gauge or chamber check your carry ammo

My carry ammo is almost always HST 147g. While plunk testing it in my new G19 Gen 5 I noticed 4-5-6 out of every box that failed. Never had an issue shooting it in a Gen 3 19, 26 or 43. I didn’t try and shoot any of these in my 19.5. I just put them in my 19.3 magazines. Is anyone having problems running HST 147g in Gen 5 Glock’s?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've found that powder weight is such a low percentage of the overall cartridge weight that bullet and case weight variations are enough to disguise a low or even no charge in 9mm.
    Exactly. Bullet is 124/135/147 grains, case is ~60 grains, powder is ~5 grains, and 5 grains is a pretty small percentage of the ~200 grain total package.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I just did a random sample on Federal 147gr HST and the weight varied by 4.5gr from lowest to highest.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    A reminder to case gauge or chamber check your carry ammo.

It just takes an extra 30 seconds to case gauge every round as you load up and is well worth it.
    While a case gauge won't catch every defect it'll cull out way more than just a visual does.
    Can you recommend or suggest a particular case gauge for the newer guys? Thanks Jody, and as always your posts are very informative and thought provoking.

John

Site Supporter
    On Hilton' s old website he suggested using the (removed) barrel of your pistol as a case gauge by dropping your carry rounds in it as you load your magazines. With the cheap American Eagle practice ammo we issue I have found many (a Bueno Salsa jar, half full) of rounds with deformed case mouths that kept them from chambering. Also several co-workers clearing and re-chambering the same rounds repeatedly led to visible setback of the bullet in the cartridge. This works for me, for now.

pat

Case gauge or chamber check your carry ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbag View Post
    Can you recommend or suggest a particular case gauge for the newer guys? Thanks Jody, and as always your posts are very informative and thought provoking.

John
    9mm case gauge - $20 on Amazon
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Great thread, @JodyH. I wouldn't be surprised if random FTFs these days are more likely due to ammo issues than today's magazines.

I've noticed an uptick in ammo failing the plunk test in my various wheelies--which yields instant feedback, obviously.

I reload so I’m always gauging & plunking my reloads. I’ve never even thought about checking my Speer/ Federal/ etc carry ammo. I will going forward.

I would never even have thought to do something like this. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I was actively reloading, I case gauged every round. What I found was that rounds that woudn't pass the case gauge almost always chambered in the barrel of my pistol. The ones that wouldn't fit the barrel were had obvious shortcomings that a visual inspection showed. If rounds will pass a case gauge, they'll certainly chamber in your pistol.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List