Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it a training problem or a gun fit problem?

Is it a training problem or a gun fit problem?

I shoot a P30, and have for about 4 years (or is it 5?) I don’t shoot nearly as much as many/most on the board, but when I do shoot, I take it seriously. I don’t just put up targets and shoot slow-fire. I do holster work, transition drills, press-out work, and accuracy work.

But that is all background to my question.

My gun routinely cuts the web of my hand. I tend to grip a gun as high as I can, and I have meaty paws. When I do that with the P30, it draws blood. Sigs, Berettas, and 1911s don’t do this to me. Now, I never ran any of those as hard as I run my HK, so I don’t know if it is my sloppy grip work, or a bad gun fit. I am not in a hurry to dump the HK, I have multiple holsters, a stack of mags, and all of the goodies.

Any thoughts?

-shooter

Have you changed up the grip sizes and panels. Mix and match. Just a suggestion. I took a class with a g19 a few years ago and my hand got ate up by the slide after 500 rds. So I ended up switching to a g17. Sometimes you have to experiment a little.

Any chance you could post a photo of your grip on the pistol?

Try different pistols. Make sure they're not Glocks. Pick whichever one you like that makes bloody things on the other end!

I agree on pics of your grip. Might be able to simply switch it up some to help with the problem.

Also if the grip will not pan out. You may want to look into another pistol if it bothers you that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Since this gun causes the problem and others do not, I would suggest changing guns to one that works for you. There are enough good options that will not cause this problem that there is no good reason to stick with one that makes you bleed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I am stumped on this one. I get cut by Glocks, I've not seen anyone grip P30 higher than I did, yet I never ever got cut by it. Curious what you'll find out.

Very curious to see your grip, please post a picture if you can. If it's a problem for you I'd just switch to a different platform. If your gun hurts you when you shoot it that's not good.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

playing around with my P30 right now, in order to cut my self i have to have such an inappropriate grip on it that my shooting would suffer so much being cut would not matter. Unless you have massive gorilla hands...
    Is it maybe the safety lever if you have a P30s?

The P30 gives me awful slide bite on my strong hand regardless of backstrap. Same problem with most any gun without a beaver tail. The web of my hand tends to creep up behind the left slide rail. You may try griping a tad lower on the gun. If your hands are like mine that may be impossible

Does this look like your issue? (hard to replicate the issue with only one hand)
    Name:  DSCN3343[1].jpg
Views: 682
Size:  30.9 KB
    Last edited by Artemas2; 01-14-2018 at 08:10 AM.

User Tag List