Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: AR-15 Burnout

Site Supporter

A most fabulous pistol

So, this is what happens when you get bored with shooting and simultaneously get a bug up your butt about busybody traditionalists. First, I needed better sights because the "proper" sights on the BP pistol are terrible for shooting past 10yds. Second, I was bored with having the same looking gun as anyone who could be bothered to buy a kit from their local store. Finally, I didn't like the wood ramrod. One, it was a bit short for my tastes. Second, it felt flimsy, finally, I still had to bring a proper cleaning rod for using mops, brushes, patch jags, etc.

So, I modified the dovetails in order to install a set of Ruger 10/22 fiber optic sights. Next, I modified the stock to allow the insertion of a brass tube in place of the original thimbles. This allowed me to store a larger diameter aluminum cleaning rod as my ramrod. I also drilled a tunnel into the back of the stock (underneath the action) to allow for extra ramrod insertion ('cause I wanted a longer rod). Next, I selected a traditionalist-annoying shade of purple for the stock, and used Brass Black to color all brass parts...well...black. It's not perfect. The Brass Black didn't work as well as I'd hope and the paint job has a couple minor runs. Still, I have something different and fun.

I actually finished it last year, but just got around to shooting it yesterday. It's great. At 25yds, I had no problem hitting the 6" steel spinner. It shoots a bit high though. I had to hold at the bottom of the plate with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. It could probably use a taller front sight. The stouter and longer ramrod made loading and cleaning much more enjoyable.

See, it's not all serious business.

Name:  IMG_20180128_135149859.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  52.9 KB

The paint is glossier and more even than it appears in the pic. I didn't wipe it down to remove fingerprints and smudges prior to taking the picture.
    The rear sight is even with the hammer, so it's not very visible here.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Title says it all. I am burnt out on 5.56 rifles. I've shot tens of thousands of AR-15 rounds and never take my LE6920 to the range.

I keep feeling a desire for an AK, but would be interested if there is a different option out there for a long rifle.
    Any suggestions for something new and exciting- AK or a rifle in a different caliber???
    I went with a benelli m4 entry with an h2 and m300 500 lumen scout. It's just like a big bore 7 shot hk416.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    So, this is what happens when you get bored with shooting and simultaneously get a bug up your butt about busybody traditionalists. First, I needed better sights because the "proper" sights on the BP pistol are terrible for shooting past 10yds. Second, I was bored with having the same looking gun as anyone who could be bothered to buy a kit from their local store. Finally, I didn't like the wood ramrod. One, it was a bit short for my tastes. Second, it felt flimsy, finally, I still had to bring a proper cleaning rod for using mops, brushes, patch jags, etc.

So, I modified the dovetails in order to install a set of Ruger 10/22 fiber optic sights. Next, I modified the stock to allow the insertion of a brass tube in place of the original thimbles. This allowed me to store a larger diameter aluminum cleaning rod as my ramrod. I also drilled a tunnel into the back of the stock (underneath the action) to allow for extra ramrod insertion ('cause I wanted a longer rod). Next, I selected a traditionalist-annoying shade of purple for the stock, and used Brass Black to color all brass parts...well...black. It's not perfect. The Brass Black didn't work as well as I'd hope and the paint job has a couple minor runs. Still, I have something different and fun.

I actually finished it last year, but just got around to shooting it yesterday. It's great. At 25yds, I had no problem hitting the 6" steel spinner. It shoots a bit high though. I had to hold at the bottom of the plate with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. It could probably use a taller front sight. The stouter and longer ramrod made loading and cleaning much more enjoyable.

See, it's not all serious business.

Name:  IMG_20180128_135149859.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  52.9 KB

The paint is glossier and more even than it appears in the pic. I didn't wipe it down to remove fingerprints and smudges prior to taking the picture.
    The rear sight is even with the hammer, so it's not very visible here.

Chris
    So that's what that sound was! Farby heads exploding...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List