Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Burnout

I got burned out on 5.56 AR's so I went with the H&K MR762.
    Running the thumping .308 head to head against the 5.56's in outlaw 3-Gun is a blast.
    Added a whole new dimension trying to keep up with 20 round mags and significantly more recoil.
    But watching it pimp slap the steel at 200Y when the .223's are barely making it quiver... that'll put a smile on your face.

Video from a small charity 3-Gun to benefit the food bank in Alpine, Texas.
    Starts out prone on some 6" and 8" plates at around 150Y prone.
    Finishes up on some 1' square steel plates at around 75Y from standing (the misses screwed up my reload timing, I was planning on reloading on the run to the target arrays at the far left).
    The 5.56's were barely tipping the 1' square plates over... .308 was slapping them down.

Last edited by JodyH; 01-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The game itself is fun. However, the “clay games” people’s lax attitude towards safety puts me off.
    I've only shot casually with friends, all of whom demonstrated acceptable gun safety. One time we shot when it was pouring down rain and the place was pretty much deserted. (I've found that rain usually keeps people away from the pistol range as well.) I really need to shoot clays again. I haven't been since I moved, so I have no idea what the couple of facilities near me are like. The facility just west of Nashville was really fantastic and one of the main things I miss about living there.

Getting back to rifles, I'm curious about the CZ 805/806. If I wanted something other than an AR, I might look at it, but it might be too similar to an AR. I need to work on my rifle shooting, but realistically hunting, for me, is more important than being able to run an AR or AK. Later this year or more likely in 2019, I'm going to buy a Ruger American and a bunch 7.62 ammo and focus on shooting a bolt gun from field positions. I would have done that this year had it not been for the cheap S&W 64's hitting the market lately.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I'm going to buy a Ruger American and a bunch 7.62 ammo and focus on shooting a bolt gun from field positions.
    I'm going to start doing some "Run & Gun" training with my Steyr Scout in the Guadalupe mountains.
    I'm going to set a few pieces of steel out and plan about a 10k loop with multiple shooting positions from 100Y to 500Y at the steel in the mountains.
    Should probably call it "Run & Puke & Gun".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Highly recommend getting a decent AK (WASR 10 is fine, and can be had for under $600, Arsenals are awesome and are often twice that) and learning it. I got into AK's last year in preparation for a specific match (Red Oktober Kalashnikov Match, which is a blast) and really learned to love the platform for what it is. Pro-tip, put an ALG AKT trigger in it, you'll thank me later.

AR's really are pretty much the top of the heap as far as shootability goes, but sometimes it takes venturing outside the optimal to rekindle interest. My go-to rifle is not any of my AK's, but learning to run an AK hard really did a lot for rekindling my interest in shooting rifles in general.
    TY83544

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I've only shot casually with friends, all of whom demonstrated acceptable gun safety. One time we shot when it was pouring down rain and the place was pretty much deserted. (I've found that rain usually keeps people away from the pistol range as well.) I really need to shoot clays again. I haven't been since I moved, so I have no idea what the couple of facilities near me are like. The facility just west of Nashville was really fantastic and one of the main things I miss about living there.

Getting back to rifles, I'm curious about the CZ 805/806. If I wanted something other than an AR, I might look at it, but it might be too similar to an AR. I need to work on my rifle shooting, but realistically hunting, for me, is more important than being able to run an AR or AK. Later this year or more likely in 2019, I'm going to buy a Ruger American and a bunch 7.62 ammo and focus on shooting a bolt gun from field positions. I would have done that this year had it not been for the cheap S&W 64's hitting the market lately.
    The American 7.62 is a neat little gun.

The CZ, like the SCAR 16, ACR etc are all too similar to the AR. My favorite “not AR” 5.56 is the AUG. really digging my MPX as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm going to start doing some "Run & Gun" training with my Steyr Scout in the Guadalupe mountains.
    I'm going to set a few pieces of steel out and plan about a 10k loop with multiple shooting positions from 100Y to 500Y at the steel in the mountains.
    Should probably call it "Run & Puke & Gun".
    When I was a kid (maybe junior high?), I read Karamojo Bell's books. He talked about shooting one elephant out of a heard, then running after the heard and shooting another, then another, then another, until the end of the day. I can't remember if that was a standard practice or just happened once, but either way it was certainly an impressive feat. I don't think he was in the mountains though! Let us know how it goes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The American 7.62 is a neat little gun.

The CZ, like the SCAR 16, ACR etc are all too similar to the AR. My favorite “not AR” 5.56 is the AUG. really digging my MPX as well.
    I bet the MPX is a lot of fun. I wish that Sig's 556/556xi rifle had caught on better. I've never shot one, but on paper it looked really good to me. I owned an AK for a few years before getting an AR, and the 556 seems to have some strengths of each platform.

Vending Machine Operator
    I hit this point and bought a Romanian WASR-10. I didn't want to spend the 1000-1400 for an Arsenal-class weapon since I have no intention of replacing my Daniel Defense AR for serious work. It seemed like the sweet spot for fun-but-not-that-expensive. When it gets here I'll let you know if it helped.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Funnest guns I own: B&T APC9 and bolt 6.5 CM.

User Tag List