Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Burnout

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Title says it all. I am burnt out on 5.56 rifles.
    Spoiled brat. ;-)

.224 Valk, .458/.500s, 50 BMG upper

AR-10 in .260

AKs are interesting and a good one will cost the same as a good AR.

I like most long guns, generally older than newer, so I guess I'm probably an outlier here. I can get more excited about a well traveled 1868 Trapdoor Springfield than an AR. ARs are fun for distance shooting, and are easy on my wimpy shoulder, but otherwise dont get me very fired up about them. Practical for certain uses, but dont spark much real interest. Sort of like the difference between a nice Colt Single Action or perhaps an older Smith 19 compared to a glock. They are checked off the list of "ought to have one because practical", but not really very interesting.

Mix things up, keep things fresh.
    If you want an AK for funsies, go for it. Or you may decide that some other semi-auto military rifle may be more your fun speed- FAL's, G-3's, FN-49's, M-1's, M-1 Carbines, ect.
    Or, go even older- lots of military bolt actions out there. A mad minute with a SMLE could be the way to go.
    Then there's various .22lr clones.

The important thing- go have fun!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Go backwards, get a 10/22, build it up and chase very small groups at long ranges.

Benchrest: chase the one (bullet) hole group.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

AR-15 Burnout

Lots of good suggestions. I’ve bought two long guns that have been fun and interesting lately.I wanted a small truck/camp gun so I got an AK pistol and SBRed it. I also got a 6.5 Grendel upper, and have been having a ton of fun shooting it out to 1000 yds.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-13-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Shoot USPSA PCC with an AR9 for part of a season — some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Sporting clays. Seriously, I think it is the pinnacle of firearm games. Sadly, I haven't been in a couple of years. You have to use a shotgun though.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    The game itself is fun. However, the “clay games” people’s lax attitude towards safety puts me off.

Site Supporter
    If you don't load your own ammo, getting into reloading is another possibility. Getting set up for it isn't cheap, but those costs amortize quickly, especially if you load for anything other than 9x19.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Title says it all. I am burnt out on 5.56 rifles. I've shot tens of thousands of AR-15 rounds and never take my LE6920 to the range.

I keep feeling a desire for an AK, but would be interested if there is a different option out there for a long rifle.
    Any suggestions for something new and exciting- AK or a rifle in a different caliber???
    “Shooting for fun” choice is something only you can answer. The heart wants what the heart wants. If you want an Ak get one.

Just be aware a decent AK will be decent AR $$$.

There are 5.56 AK options which simplify ammo logistics, though guns tend to run best in their original calibers.

Personally I prefer Ak 74s over AK47s. Though the dirt cheap 7N surplus is no longer a thing, you can still buy 5.45 at reasonable prices and Magpul has released a 74 pattern PMAG.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.

User Tag List