Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump or Semi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I bought an 870 to use to teach with primarily since that’s what my Academy kids need to learn on. One of these days I’m gonna get a 1301 because, 1301 w Aridus stuff.
    $$$wise now is the time if you can swing it - at $650ish 1301s are a screaming deal.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-14-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    $$$wise now is the time if you can swing it
    I think I'm gonna get the Comp model. Have they been on sale too?
    Last edited by Lon; 01-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Lon;698262]
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    $$$wise now is the time if you can swing it

I think I'm gonna get the Comp model. Have they been on sale too?
    No, just the tacticals AFAIK. There is a new version of the comp model coming out but apparently they sell faster or are not produced in the numbers the TAC is.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-14-2018 at 05:26 PM.

The history and reputation of pumps are great but I would chose semi for sure. There are a ton of extremely reliable semis. They are softer shooting and easier to use.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The weak spot on a pump is usually the operator, where with the semi the problem is usually the gun or ammo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Not sure how to link it in Tapatalk, but there is a thread discussing notes on high round count shotguns from one of the nation’s most popular shooting ranges. It is worth a read, and the observations of the guy spending the money on the maintenance might surprise those who regard pumps as generally more reliable. The Reader’s Digest version is that the Benelli semiautos hold up far better than any of the pumps.

The very long Beretta 1301T thread also has some interesting reliability discussion, and has convinced me that if/when I spend my $ on a serious purpose shotgun, that is what I will buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I'm firmly in the "all semi auto shotguns should be made in Italy , start with a B and end with a vowel" camp.

That said I trust a Benelli or Beretta semi to be less problematic than a pump when run hard. We see a lot more guys struggling with stoppages in matches with pumps than we do with semis.
    Maybe I would consider a pump if I had to rely on gungy shells found in a basement, but if its my gun and my ammo a 1301, M2 or M4 is a no brainer for me.

I wouldn't touch a 930 though.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    "all semi auto shotguns should be made in Italy , start with a B and end with a vowel"
    That is one of the absolute truths of the world.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I’m going with the trusty pump. Semis are nice but I like the comfort of the rock solid reliability of the pump action.
    I hunted, trained, and fought with shotguns and trust a good semi more than a good pump.

Semis are better when shooting with a wounded arm, from awkward positions, etc.

Here's a video of me doing a very simple reload, shoot drill on a nice bluebird day. One of the first/worst malf I've gotten with a pump.

Now, I've been using Mossbergs since I was 12. That includes teaching Philippino Marines and training at Camp David. I still use them as my primary go to hunting, competition, a self defense shotgun. I'll get a Benelli of my own someday because a good modern semi is just plan better.

It's not even speed. Going from target to target I beat out a lot of semis when competing

Don't fall into the same train of thought that think pumps and revolvers are more reliable. They're not.
    Last edited by 03RN; 01-15-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Site Supporter
    To the op I say keep your eye out for a good deal on a used 590, and this way you'll have both. If I were advising a new shooter, my advice would be buy a Beretta 1301 T for defense use/training and buy a Beretta sporting semi auto for hunting/skeet/trap activities. For knocking around along field and stream I would recommend a used a used pump in either 20 or 12 ga. Why the pump? Everybody needs at least one. The pump gun's simplicity and reliability has now been surpassed by Beretta and Benelli semi autos. Buy either and be done with it. Today I bought another 870 for purely nostalgic reasons based on a lifetime of shooting them. As an old dude, I can justify nostalgic purchases. Everybody else should have better reasons.
    Last edited by willie; 01-23-2018 at 11:57 PM.

User Tag List