Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump or Semi

Pump or Semi

I have a 930 SPX Tactical. I like it however I used to have a 590-A1 I loved and could feed it anything. I use a shotgun for range / classes. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the semi or go back to the 590?

Site Supporter
    I started with a pump, done a lot of training, now not so much, don't use or train as much as should. Seen pumps run just as fast if not faster, Indian not the arrow.

If I had to restart today, I'd get a semi for range, home, and general use. Really I am going to be going to work with it using slugs or #1 buck and I am not going to be short stroking because I am out of practice.

I feel like the debate in this space is very similar to revolvers vs. semi-autos (except that there's no significant capacity difference, so it's less significant), AIWB vs strong side, AK vs AR, Glock vs the world, or every other "debate." There's probably some good reasons for some users to choose one over the other, but if this is for "range / classes" then those reasons don't apply to you. It doesn't really matter. Choose what you like.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Does your 930 run reliably ?

In general I prefer. Semi but the Beretta and Benellis seem to be the baseline for reliable function out of the box.

We use pumps at work and I find the more time (familiarity and practice) the operator has, the better they work.

I can only answer this from a hunting standpoint.

I started hunting with a Mossberg .410 (I don't remember the model, stolen in the 6th grade) graduated to a Mossberg 500, then a 835, and now I own my Dad's old BPS. I also owned a 590 for home defense during that time period.

They are great when you are on your hind legs and are very deliberate with the "shucking".

It is much easier to use a semi from odd shooting positions that can sometimes come up in hunting situations that undoubtedly would come up significantly more often in non staged self defense scenarios. Particularly those that limit movement such as prone or barricade positions.

While I still have my Dad's old BPS I have divested all my other pumps and use my old Benelli M1 for hunting/defense rolls. The Benelli manual of arms is vastly superior related to "select slug" (goose ) and more importantly unloading/making safe before moving to another stand/blind area along with letting me focus on the target, lead and follow through irrespective of my off hand/arm position. I can make shots with followups at a greater angle on LH to RH crossing shots for example.

My thumb does sometimes really miss that open loading port on the Mossberg/Brownings though.

Seems like you'd get the most out of an 870 in a class, as that's been the combat shotgun for 60+ years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Seems like you'd get the most out of an 870 in a class, as that's been the combat shotgun for 60+ years.
    I have 870s because it’s what we run at work but there is nothing wrong with 590s unless you want some type of pistol grip stock. A 590 with a magpul stock is a great set up.

I bought an 870 to use to teach with primarily since that’s what my Academy kids need to learn on. One of these days I’m gonna get a 1301 because, 1301 w Aridus stuff.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Does your current shotgun work reliably for the purposes you bought it? A 3 gun shotgun is a bit of a different animal than a home defense shotgun, etc.

If your current shotgun runs and fits your intended purposes, what would make you want to buy a different one?

If your gun doesn't run reliably it's probably because it's a Mossberg 930, not because it's a semi-auto.

In the general pump v. semi debate, I come down on the side of a reliable semi-auto. Pump guns, at least as they are being manufactured today, are not as reliable and trouble free as people believe them to be. And they are always subject to operator error.

Semi-autos feed themselves, and with the excellent options on the market today (I'm a fan of the Beretta 1301...I own two of them) reliability isn't really a concern.

If we had a bag of mystery ammo sitting around and you had to bet money on which type of shotgun would have the best shot at feeding that bag of mystery ammo, a pump would be a good bet.

...but nobody with an iota of sense feeds their shotgun from a bag of mystery ammo. It's entirely possible to get a good semi-auto and test it with the ammo you wish to use to ensure function. So the supposed reliability benefit of the pump gun is really just moot unless you find yourself needing to use less-lethal ammo, breaching rounds, and other specialized munitions that are typically only used in the armed professions, and even then only in very limited situations.

All of that said, there's nothing wrong with a good pump gun either. You just have to spend a little more time keeping your skillset up.
    3/15/2016

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m going with the trusty pump. Semis are nice but I like the comfort of the rock solid reliability of the pump action.

User Tag List