Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apex J-frame kits

The large Apex spring is silver in the kit I just got in.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Where have you guys been buying the kits?
    Update: I just bought them from Dillon, that way I could order a calendar. I want a calendar, but I don't need anything for the presses. The notion of paying for shipping on an order with nothing but the calendar makes me feel like a creepy old leg humper, throw in a couple of spring kits and it is all good...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-14-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I had issues with light primer strikes with an Apex kit, so test your carry ammo thoroughly before relying on it.
    I did too. I wanted to love it, but...no.

My opinion: for a defensive gun, you're better off leaving the factory mainspring, switching to a Wolff rebound spring of 12-14# (experiment, see what you like), and dry firing the snot out of it to slick it up.

So far, 100 rounds of Precision Delta 148 gr LWC and 20 rounds of 135 gr +P Gold Dot through each gun (337 & 340); no failures to fire. I’ll let you know when I get 250 through each, assuming no light strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I had issues with light primer strikes with an Apex kit, so test your carry ammo thoroughly before relying on it.
    I would heed this advice for sure, but I'll offer my experience with a similar spring kit.

Instead of the Apex kit, I ordered a Wilson Combat spring kit, which is similar to and cheaper than the Apex, but does not have the extended firing pin. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/84...-and-w-j-frame

I installed this kit in my 442 Pro, using the replacement mainspring and the lightest rebound spring, and then shot a bunch or harder primer ammo like CCI/Speer ( including 135gr +P Gold Dot), Wolf/Tula steel cased FMJ. I didn't have any issues. I have since shot a good pile of my own wadcutter handloads, various factory ammo, and 200+ rounds of RA38B ( my preferred carry load), also with no issues. I have somewhere between 500-1000 rounds fired so far since I replaced the springs, with zero issues. I feel 100% confident that it'll go bang when needed, but I didn't trust it until I had shot a pile of ammo to verify.

Every gun is different, and in my Glocks I use only OEM parts/springs for this very reason, as I've had issues with aftermarket parts in the past. The further from stock you get, the more often Murphy sinks his teeth into your behind.

I have the Wilson spring kit it two M&P 340’s and they work fantastic. Absolutely no reliability issues with them in the bit of experience I’ve had with them. One of the guns I own has a very low round count. Somewhere around 800 since the spring change and I’ve had no issues with it. The other gun has closer to 2500 through it and also has zero issues. I’m a big fan of the kits from Wilson.

With the spring kits, some live and dry fire no smith work is necessary to be very shootable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

With the spring kits, some live and dry fire no smith work is necessary to be very shootable.
    I didn't do any major work on my 442, but I did clean up the round end of the mainspring strut on a stone ( being a stamped part it was pretty rough), and smoothed out the rebound just slightly where it had a small burr. Most of the guts were good to go as is. The spring kit reduced the pull a fair amount, but I dryfired the piss out of the thing, and it really did help smooth things out.

The Apex video of their install is very helpful, no matter which kit you purchase.

User Tag List