Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin Armory Reformation

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I think we can rule out smoothbore if Franklin Armory already said it’s not a smoothbore. The hexagon barrel idea is pretty cool if true. I’ve also heard some guesses that it has to do with overall length but that doesn’t make sense to me. Overall length shouldn’t matter when defining a rifle. It is meant to be fired from the shoulder based in the fact that it has a stock. It uses standard ammo and the barrel is rifled. Maybe it’s got something to do with the binary trigger? If it fires once on trigger pull and once in reset it doesn’t fire once per trigger pull like a rifle but it also isn’t a machine gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe they are being fickle on the word "smoothbore".
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Rumor has it that it is something to do with the trigger.
    Maybe push the trigger instead of pull?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I’m also curious if it’s something that the ATF can keep changing its mind on like the pistol braces. Could owners of this thing become instant felons when the ATF decides to reinterpret something?

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I think I figured it out. Let's say instead of a round hole they "drill" a hexagonal hole just under the bullet diameter, maybe .222 inches.

Then twist the barrel to give it a spin. It's a smooth barrel, not rifled, but will impart a spin to stabilize the bullet.
    Isn't that essentially what polygonal rifling of pre-gen5 Glock, among others, is?

It's not drilled, it's hammer forged around a mandrel, I think, but that's the basic concept.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Isn't that essentially what polygonal rifling of pre-gen5 Glock, among others, is?

It's not drilled, it's hammer forged around a mandrel, I think, but that's the basic concept.

I think Glock cuts the twits the when "rifling" the barrel. What I'm suggesting is making a barrel with a strait hexagon hole and then twisting the barrel.

I think it would be considered a smooth bore before twisting and I don't think twisting the barrel would be considered "rifling".
    Last edited by 5pins; 01-13-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Rumor has it that it is something to do with the trigger.
    Maybe it's some sort of set trigger where you pull it once to set, then the trigger returns to it's starting position, and you pull it a second time to fire. Two trigger pulls get one discharge of the firearm. I don't like that idea, but it seems like it might fit with the various legally definitions based on my limited knowledge. Second pulls on set triggers can be crazy light. Just keeping your finger in contact with the trigger might be enough force to actuate the second pull.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    This strikes me as a gimmick. Plus Franklin Armory is not exactly known for quality. I’ll pass.

FWIW I don't think they can exploit any California SBR loophole but who knows... Other unfriendly states would follow suit to ban.

"(c) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or
    otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than
    26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length."

According to a post on arfdcom it's not the trigger.

Attachment 22979

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This strikes me as a gimmick. Plus Franklin Armory is not exactly known for quality. I’ll pass.
    Part of me wonders if they're playing the "guess what it is" game just to get their name circulated.

I've passed on less bleeding-edge stuff; I'll pass on this one.

User Tag List