Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin Armory Reformation

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    While the sheer stupidity of the nature of NFA laws frustrates me to no end, I really dislike the "NFA loophole!" marketing angle bugs me. Flaunting that you're exploiting a loophole is just begging to be made a villain by some leftist hit piece on irresponsible gun makers and how things need to get cracked down on further. No, the law is BS, and it shouldn't matter, but the first rule of exploiting loopholes is you keep your mouth shut or the loophole gets closed.
    Don't make sense, bro.

___

Someone made a valid point that the trigger system could be modified, such that a pull back and then deliberate release forward (a two-step trigger, but not in the two-stage sense) could get past the NFA rules. But since some folks are saying it's not the trigger, I guess we'll just see on Media day next week.

I always get a kick when some politician uses the "loophole". I call it obeying the law.

Whatever they came up with I hope it's not some useless gimmick, although my guess is it probably will be.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

It might perhaps have a barrel design in some ways similar to a Westley Richards Explora or Holland and Holland’s Paradox guns; they we are mostly smooth bore except for the last few inches of some type of rifling. Used to shoot both shot shells and rifle rounds.
    Last edited by RMF; 01-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Whatever they came up with I hope it's not some useless gimmick, although my guess is it probably will be.
    If you notice, the barrel length of the Reformation is pointedly 11.5 inches. Why is this important? Because an AR with an 11.5 inch barrel and a carbine RE has an OAL that measures (with a bare muzzle and no stock) just a tick over 26 inches. Why is this important? Because it's at that length an AR can be classified as a firearm that is neither a rifle or a shotgun. Look up the BATF letter to Franklin Armory concerning adding a vertical foregrip to a handgun.

If the exception is the OAL, it will radically change everything.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-15-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If you notice, the barrel length of the Reformation is pointedly 11.5 inches. Why is this important? Because an AR with an 11.5 inch barrel and a carbine RE has an OAL that measures (with a bare muzzle and no stock) just a tick over 26 inches. Why is this important? Because it's at that length an AR can be classified as a firearm that is neither a rifle or a shotgun. Look up the BATF letter to Franklin Armory concerning adding a vertical foregrip to a handgun.

That length is only critical if the firearm doesn't otherwise meet the definition of "rifle" or "shotgun." In addition to the minimum overall length, rifles and shotguns must have 16" or 18" barrels respectively to not be NFA "firearms." Past designs have generally accomplished this by not being "designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder." The Reformation clearly has a stock, so it has to use some other way of being excluded from the definition of "rifle" and "shotgun."
    Last edited by joshs; 01-15-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    That length is only critical if the firearm doesn't otherwise meet the definition of "rifle" or "shotgun." In addition to the minimum overall length, rifles and shotguns must have 16" or 18" barrels respectively to not be NFA "firearms." Past designs have generally accomplished this by not being "designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder." The Reformation clearly has a stock, so it has to use some other way of being excluded from the definition of "rifle" and "shotgun."
    That’s what I was thinking too. The whole AR pistol craze is only possible because a stripped lower receiver is set up from the get-go to not become a gun that’s supposed to be fired from the shoulder. If you stick a buttstock on your stripped lower receiver, it’s by definition going to become a firearm that’s supposed to be fired from the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

If the barrel is under 16 inches and its designed to fire from the shoulder then it's still an SBR regardless of the fact that its over 26 inches.

The president of the company is also claiming that a patent-pending technology is making this possible. The company is also claiming that it's not a smooth bore and it's not the trigger. At least some people are saying that the company is telling them that it's not the trigger, I haven't seen anything from Franklin Armory to that effect but some people are saying this.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Isn't it the same mumbo jumbo as the Shockwave? Not a short barreled rifle because it was never a regulation rifle.
    If they apply a Quacks Like a Duck interpretation instead of a time machine, it is a goner.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Franklin Armory Reformation Hands On at SHOT Show 2018

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2018...hot-show-2018/

What we know so far:

• The “firearm” has a rifled barrel so we can put that rumor to rest.
    • The trigger is the standard binary trigger from Franklin. It shoots once when you pull the trigger, and once when you release it.
    • The “firearm” is 26″ long and comes with a stock and no need for a tax stamp or ATF paper work.
    • It shoot’s really well and feels just like an SBR

What we don’t know:

• We don’t know what the loop hole Franklin armory found to get an ATF letter saying this is not an SBR
    • It might have something to do with the overall length and the barrel length, but they will not confirm anything until tomorrow.

http://www.recoilweb.com/franklin-ar...ed-133042.html

TL;DR: the barrel has lands and grooves, but no rotation of the lands and grooves, so it's not a rifle, but also not a smoothbore and thus not a shotgun.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 01-23-2018 at 10:34 AM.

User Tag List