Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin Armory Reformation

Franklin Armory Reformation

I saw this on another forum and I’m curious about it. It looks like a regular 11.5” AR except with a Binary Trigger. Apparently the ATF has declared it’s not an NFA item due to some “loophole.” I don’t get it. What am I not seeing? I have a layman’s familiarity with the definitions of rifle, pistol and firearm.
    https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2018...eed-tax-stamp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 01-13-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I saw this on another forum and I’m curious about it. It looks like a regular 11.5” AR except with a Binary Trigger. Apparently the ATF has declared it’s not an NFA item due to some “loophole.” I don’t get it. What am I not seeing? I have a layman’s familiarity with the definitions of rifle, pistol and firearm.
    https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2018...eed-tax-stamp/

It’s a smoothbore, i.e. not rifled. And therefore not subject to the NFA. That’s my guess. Modern musket.

civiliandefender.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    It’s a smoothbore, i.e. not rifled. And therefore not subject to the NFA. That’s my guess. Modern musket.

civiliandefender.com
    Franklin Armory commented to Soldier Systems that it wasn't a smoothbore, but wouldn't elaborate further until range day at SHOT:

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/01/11...-no-tax-stamp/

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I think I figured it out. Let's say instead of a round hole they "drill" a hexagonal hole just under the bullet diameter, maybe .222 inches.

Then twist the barrel to give it a spin. It's a smooth barrel, not rifled, but will impart a spin to stabilize the bullet.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I think I figured it out. Let's say instead of a round hole they "drill" a hexagonal hole just under the bullet diameter, maybe .222 inches.

Then twist the barrel to give it a spin. It's a smooth barrel, not rifled, but will impart a spin to stabilize the bullet.
    If that's right they've found a nifty loophole and one that will quickly be copied by every barrel maker on the planet.

Will ATF then redefine what "rifling" is?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If it's smooth bore, isn't it a shotgun and therefore an SBS and NFA?

I think we can rule out smoothbore if Franklin Armory already said it’s not a smoothbore. The hexagon barrel idea is pretty cool if true. I’ve also heard some guesses that it has to do with overall length but that doesn’t make sense to me. Overall length shouldn’t matter when defining a rifle. It is meant to be fired from the shoulder based in the fact that it has a stock. It uses standard ammo and the barrel is rifled. Maybe it’s got something to do with the binary trigger? If it fires once on trigger pull and once in reset it doesn’t fire once per trigger pull like a rifle but it also isn’t a machine gun.

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    Yes. I think the most likely theory has to do with the “rifle” definition specifically using “pull” to define trigger activation rather than “function.” It likely uses Franklin Armory’s existing binary technology.

Rumor has it that it is something to do with the trigger.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    I'm not sure, a shotgun is defined as a firing a fixed "shotgun shell" but a rifle is defined as firing a "fixed cartridge".

If I'm doing my mental gymnastics correctly It's not a rifle because it doesn't have a rifled barrel, it's not a shotgun because it doesn't fire a shotgun shell, and it's not a pistol because it has an overall length of over 26 inches and it's not meant to be concealed.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List