Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taran Tactical G43 +3 Extension

I have seen enough extended magazine failures to make me not carry them on any serious use defensive pistol. This even includes glock factory +2 extensions. Like @GJM said, weird things start to happen with the pistol timing when you alter spring tension in the mags.

To this point, I strongly believe that Taran 140 extensions interacted with a light recoil spring and perhaps some thumb pressure on the slide to give me light strikes in my MOS 34.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Good points. I will probably switch back to the factory with extended finger rest at 6+1 for the magazine in the gun while carrying (which is easier to conceal AIWB anyway), and reserve the 3-round extensions (loaded to 8) for my reloads.

My duty ammo is Winchester RA9T 147 grain which is not +P. I have only tested the gun and extended magazines with the RA9T and standard velocity 115-124 grain FMJ.

I really wish Glock would release a factory 8 or 10-round Glock 43 magazine. It would be very inexpensive for them and they could sell them at a premium like their far less useful 31-rd magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To this point, I strongly believe that Taran 140 extensions interacted with a light recoil spring and perhaps some thumb pressure on the slide to give me light strikes in my MOS 34.
    Same with my limited Glock's in .40 with a frame weight. The best way I found to overcome this was to use the 33 round mag springs (17 coils) and cut them down to about 14.5-15 coils, which still allows 20 rounds in the mag but give much more reliability than the +10% ISMI mag springs that the TTI's come with. Vogel added bolt on weights to his slide which would also slow down the slide enough to allow the mag springs to keep up. See the picture of his gun in the top right here: http://www.rlncustomgear.com/products.html
    Last edited by Gio; 01-14-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I have seen enough extended magazine failures to make me not carry them on any serious use defensive pistol. This even includes glock factory +2 extensions. Like @GJM said, weird things start to happen with the pistol timing when you alter spring tension in the mags.
    So +2 factory is a no go? I'm currently carrying a factory g26 12 rounder. Will I get kilt in the streets?
    I figured g26 and g19 use the same spring so +2 is no problem.
    Ditch it for 10 rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    So +2 factory is a no go? I'm currently carrying a factory g26 12 rounder. Will I get kilt in the streets?
    I figured g26 and g19 use the same spring so +2 is no problem.
    Ditch it for 10 rounder?
    I have seen enough of the +2 extensions disassemble themselves to not want to carry it myself. A buddy of mine was standing around the office a couple yeras ago and his G26 expelled all the rounds out of the bottom of the mag while it was in his holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I have seen enough of the +2 extensions disassemble themselves to not want to carry it myself. A buddy of mine was standing around the office a couple yeras ago and his G26 expelled all the rounds out of the bottom of the mag while it was in his holster.
    So, IMO, comparing the 43 & a G26 +2, is apples to oranges. The smaller autos have always been more finicky & run on the ragged edge, if you will, of the balance of spring tensions of recoil vs mag: not to mention the myriad of human induced malfunctions that rear their ugly heads with smaller autos. Me... I trust a G26 with a properly installed Glock OEM +2. YMMV
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 01-18-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Another Update:

I already received not just one, but TWO new springs! On top of that, I received them on only the second day after giving them my address! Outstanding service from Taran Tactical! I’m thinking I will give these another shot, I’ve got 5 mags so I don’t have to use them for carry if/until I trust them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I purchased a +3 to give it a whirl. I assembled it properly and loaded it up with 9 rounds. I chambered the first round and immediately felt the tension in the magazine release. I dropped magazine to find the follower had not kept pressure on the ammo in the magazine. I shook then loose rounds out and had to actual manipulate the follower with a cleaning rod to get to return to the feed lips. With 8 rounds loaded it properly kept magazine tension. Upon disassembly I found the supplied spring all sorts of tweaked. I'm assuming these same issues aren't prevalent with the +2?

I sent them an email with the attached photo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    I purchased a +3 to give it a whirl. I assembled it properly and loaded it up with 9 rounds. I chambered the first round and immediately felt the tension in the magazine release. I dropped magazine to find the follower had not kept pressure on the ammo in the magazine. I shook then loose rounds out and had to actual manipulate the follower with a cleaning rod to get to return to the feed lips. With 8 rounds loaded it properly kept magazine tension. Upon disassembly I found the supplied spring all sorts of tweaked. I'm assuming these same issues aren't prevalent with the +2?

I sent them an email with the attached photo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That looks like when you installed the spring it hung up on the lip of the +3 instead of dropping down to the bottom. Mine hung up at first so I loaded it to about 7 without too much resistance then I started tapping/shaking the mag until I heard the spring pop and slide down.

It looks like your spring was caught up but you still managed to get the rounds in there.

Don't stress it too much, Taran will probably send you another spring with no questions asked. Just try to be weary of the spring hanging up. It only happened to me once on the first install. I have removed and reinstalled a few times since and it slides right down now.

This happens with a lot of 3rd party extensions sometimes it hangs up, other times, no issue at all.

User Tag List