Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taran Tactical G43 +3 Extension

Taran Tactical G43 +3 Extension

I've seen some mixed reviews on the +3 mag extension for the Glock 43 and was wondering if anyone here who has put some serious rounds through their glock using one could chime in.

I'm currently using a +2 from Strike Industries but since it is the same size as Taran's +3 I figure I may as well get another round as long as it works.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 01-12-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’d have to wonder how far you can run the stock spring out before it doesn’t work. Real world experience is welcome, I’d like to know also.

I run Suarez +2 with no issues now. But I’m a “more is better” guy, so another round would be the cat’s ass. I want to hate the 43 and dump it for all 19’s but it just carries so well.

I only have about 300ish rounds through two of them, all have been flawless.

FWIW, if you look a Kyle Defoor's social media he has been using them for some time. He doesn't put up with much bullshit so if he, and his annual round count, is satisfied I think the investment is safe.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    I’d have to wonder how far you can run the stock spring out before it doesn’t work. Real world experience is welcome, I’d like to know also.

I run Suarez +2 with no issues now. But I’m a “more is better” guy, so another round would be the cat’s ass. I want to hate the 43 and dump it for all 19’s but it just carries so well.
    It comes with a new spring that is supposed to be stronger.

The biggest issues people seem to have with the +3 is that hollow points don't seem to like them and problems with the spring rusting.
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 01-13-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I only have about 300ish rounds through two of them, all have been flawless.

FWIW, if you look a Kyle Defoor's social media he has been using them for some time. He doesn't put up with much bullshit so if he, and his annual round count, is satisfied I think the investment is safe.
    I thought Kyle was shooting the +2 extensions but if hes doing the +3 then that is a great sign.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    It comes with a new spring that is supposed to be stronger.

The biggest issues people seem to have with the +3 is that hollow points don't seem to like them and problems with the spring rusting.
    Does it? I thought it was supposed to run with the stock spring.

For rust...easy fix if you pull the spring and wipe it with Breakfree. Course, I’ve never had to do that with any other mags. So how much is one round worth. Maybe your life...but then maybe we ought to all carry chopped 17’s.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Does it? I thought it was supposed to run with the stock spring.

For rust...easy fix if you pull the spring and wipe it with Breakfree. Course, I’ve never had to do that with any other mags. So how much is one round worth. Maybe your life...but then maybe we ought to all carry chopped 17’s.
    Initially they told buyers to use the stock spring but after a rash of failures reported, almost all related to the spring, Taran started issuing a "10% stronger spring" with all their mag extensions.

I have 3 Taran +2 extensions and 2 +3 extensions. I run these 15% extra power springs from ghost https://ghostinc.com/glock-43-plus-15-magazine-spring/ in my plus 2 extensions. I use the Taran extra power spring in the +3. I only use the extensions downloaded by one because they are so tight at full capacity.

I highly recommend buying the +3 mag, spring extension package preassembled by Taran. Installing the springs in the extensions is a pain. The +2(7+1) or the factory extended baseplate (6+1) is nice for in the gun AIWB and and the +3(with 8 rounds) is ideal as a spare in a JMCK AIWB SPMP. This is my setup for capacity limited states and somewhat NPE environments.

No malfunctions experienced.

I think a weak spot of all small 9mm pistols, including the 43, is slide velocity. I was consistently having stoppages on the last round, with a particular 43, with Gold Dot 124+P and OEM six round magazines. That problem went away with the new 01 marked OEM magazines.

If I was going to use an extended 43 magazine, it would only be with standard pressure ammo, and I still think you are a test pilot compared to OEM magazines. I doubt the extension manufacturers have done extensive testing with a wide range of ammo, and interaction with original and then 01 magazines, meaning the users get to sort all this out.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great point George. I wonder if the reason my 43 has been unproblematic with Taran +1 and +2 1st gen mags is that I’m shooting HST 147 and 130 PF practice ammo.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List