Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowie Knife donated to Texas Rangers Museum.

Bowie knife short sword
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I live in a little town in east Texas called Chireno. It’s located between the town of San Augustine , mentioned in the article, and Nacogdoches. They were the two of the biggest and earliest towns in this part of the state and are about thirty miles apart. Chireno is located about halfway between them and we still have the “Halfway” House standing here. Lots of famous folks passed through here on their way out west and it’s really cool for me to think that this very knife may have passed through close to where I’m sitting tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That a 17 inch blade? Me likesy!

Site Supporter
    Last weekend I was a guest on a ranch in the county just west of Waco in an isolated area. I had my picture taken standing in the remains(ruts)of a stagecoach track and next to a weathered cedar pole that had once been a telegraph pole. Within a few feet were stone buildings that served as a residence with deep cellar, barns, and stone fence. The stone was hand cut from much larger limestone stones. Nearby was a hand dug watering hole and the cedar post remains of hitching post. At the time these structures were made, Comanche Indians were a force to be reckoned with. The facts just written have been documented but never published. The land has been owned for generations by the same family who have always kept this information out of public view. They wished not to have idiots swarming over the area, which has never been vandalized. Perhaps the famous Bowie knife passed this way once. In the previous sentences I described a stagecoach stop over station.
    Last edited by willie; 01-12-2018 at 11:53 PM.

Looks like it's about the same length as a gladius, which did a lot of good work over the centuries.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I live in a little town in east Texas called Chireno. It’s located between the town of San Augustine , mentioned in the article, and Nacogdoches. They were the two of the biggest and earliest towns in this part of the state and are about thirty miles apart. Chireno is located about halfway between them and we still have the “Halfway” House standing here.
    Damn, must have driven past that place 670 times when I worked in that area, and never had a clue what the historical significance was. I’ve had many a breakfast and lunch at the old Chireno store!

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Interesting. An actuall "Bowie" knife?
    Based upon the engraving being authentic, yes, absolutely. Two legendary figures in Texas and Southern history. Plug those names into a search engine.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-13-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Bowie "knives" are awesome... I put knives in quotation marks because they should really be called Bowie short swords.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Bowie knife short sword
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Looks like it's about the same length as a gladius, which did a lot of good work over the centuries.

Okie John
    Men started carrying Bowie-type blades, about the time they phased-out carrying various types of swords. Seems sensible to me, as a sword is long enough to require a hanger or other arrangement to wear the scabbard, whereas a Bowie is generally short enough to be worn tucked under a sash or belt, in a simple sheath. These sheaths often had a stud, to prevent the sheath from slipping downward too far. Simple, elegant, and comfortable.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Eastex;697453]/QUOTE]
    . Any personal connection @Eastex?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

No, just thought it was a cool story that checked a lot of my boxes. I’m really into Texas history, the Rangers , and Bowie knives. The Halfway House here in Chireno has a re-enactment weekend every year and there is a small group of guys who set up a Ranger camp from this era and i always enjoy checking out their gear. Bowie knives, patch knives and of course tomahawks for the kids to practice throwing. That’s on my list of things I’d like to do is get myself a proper round log set up for throwing tomahawks at. When friends come over we usually wind up pitching washers or throwing horseshoes. Throwing tomahawks seems like a natural.
    Of course one year at the re-enactment a guy brought out some atlatls , whole different group of folks from the Rangers but boy were they fun to throw.

User Tag List