Thread: NFPA standard for active shooter response

NFPA standard for active shooter response

The National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Standards Council is seeking public comment on the provisional standard “NFPA 3000: Standard for Preparedness and Response to Active Shooter and/or Hostile Events.”

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stand...tail?code=3000

This is only the second time in history NFPA has authorized a provisional standard. Giving NFPA 3000 this status means it can move through the development process and be issued in a shorter time period than typical. In the interest of public and first responder safety, NFPA states the new standard may be available for use as early as April 2018.

NFPA voted to develop the provisional standard to serve as a reference document to help communities better prepare for these events. The new standard covers the “level of competence required” for first responder agencies developing and maintaining active shooter/hostile events preparedness and response programs.

NFPA’s president cited the increased frequency of active shooter/hostile events as the reason for the push to get this standard finished. Through the unifed response used in NFPA 3000, “ first responders, facility managers, hospital officials, and community members can minimize risk before, during and after these devastating incidents,” he said.

The preliminary draft of the proposed standard is now available for review. Public comments must be received by February 23, 2018. Those interested in submitting comments, downloading the NFPA 3000 Fact Sheet or receiving updates on the proposed standard can do so through the NFPA 3000 page.

https://content.govdelivery.com/atta...52C%2B2018.pdf

How does this work if most agencies use and are trained under NIMS?

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    How does this work if most agencies use and are trained under NIMS?
    I'm not sure Im clear on what you're asking. Are you asking if there would be a conflict?

If that is what you're asking, NIMS is just a framework for interagency cooperation on a scene. This NFPA standard would be a recommended bottom-line training and equipment standard for agencies (Fire) to adhere to.

So, they're two separate realms, as I understand it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks for posting TGS, I’m going to read through this tomorrow when I have a little more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The scope of this looks like it may be broader than applying to just firefighters/ems, but I'll need to read the standard. Definitely worth keeping an eye on (particularly since I represent a local gov).

This standard applies to any community, AHJ, facility, and member of any organization who responds to or prepares for active shooter and/or hostile events.

This is from the fact sheet:

Is NFPA 3000 Only for the Fire Service?
    No, NFPA 3000 is for citizens, facilities, schools, health care, non-governmental organizations, law enforcement and other responders, city leaders, and emergency management. All of these stakeholders need to be at the table and working together.
    Last edited by idahojess; 01-12-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    The scope of this looks like it may be broader than applying to just firefighters/ems, but I'll need to read the standard. Definitely worth keeping an eye on (particularly since I represent a local gov).

This standard applies to any community, AHJ, facility, and member of any organization who responds to or prepares for active shooter and/or hostile events.

This is from the fact sheet:

Is NFPA 3000 Only for the Fire Service?
    No, NFPA 3000 is for citizens, facilities, schools, health care, non-governmental organizations, law enforcement and other responders, city leaders, and emergency management. All of these stakeholders need to be at the table and working together.
    They can write whatever they want, but I've never heard of anyone outside Fire listening to NFPA for being told what they should do about non-Fire content. I can see EMS using it as a go-by simply because EMS is still an infant as an industry, and is still going through an identity crisis. As an industry, EMS is the confused teenebopper girl that doesn't know whether they should trust Uncle Bob who tells her it's their little secret when they come over, or her own dad that is in jail on his 4th felony. Nobody really likes her or cares for her, and she's probably going to get manipulated for others' benefit while she tries to find some semblance of belonging and support.

On the other hand, a bunch of cops aren't going to say, "Hey, the firemen told us what we should do in an active shooter, so let's do that" just the same as firemen aren't going to look to FLEOA for guidance on what a proper box response should look like.

As far as training/protocol/equipment standards for active shooter situations, that's nothing new. Every swinging dick in public safety has been extolling the virtues of their guidance for the last two decades "with all stakeholders at the table working together". DHS (both FLETC and FEMA), FBI, ALERRT, NYPD Shield, etc etc etc.

Without further information, I'm looking at this as pretty much a political measure to ensure the survival and relevance of the Maltese cross oogie-cookie party known as Firemen. There's little fire left to fight due to the overwhelming success of fire prevention, so their industry has to have a word because can't afford to be sidelined in the current public safety foci.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-12-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Fire/EMS guys rightly don't let police set training standards for them, and the general public will take advice from the guys with the biggest guns when it comes to attempted mass murder. If they stay within thier lane and deal with mass casualty and command and control, this can be a good thing, but trying to craft overall policy may be an issue. Anyone remember the response to the World Trade Center bombing?

Last I knew ALERRT was the DOJ/Homeland Security gold standard for law enforcement response.

I will have to read this on my days off.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-12-2018 at 09:58 AM.

User Tag List