Page 97 of 374 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    The article I read said the back-up officer that shot is the one that fired all the rounds, and 100% hits.

If I’m not mistaken, that officer (Andy Oblad) was the first officer that responded to the active shooter at Trolley Square Mall about 10 years ago.
    Yeah this seems correct. Based on my first viewing of the video, I thought the officer to the right offscreen fired the first volley, then the officer coming into frame from left fired the second. Upon second viewing I was clearly mistaken. Thanks for the correction! I'll edit the post.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I can't edit older posts.
    Last edited by Doug MacRay; 10-27-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Sequoyah County, OK: Deputies serve warrant on sex offender, find him hiding under clothes. He stabs a deputy twice before being shot. Taser deployment by the second officer failed. One thing that surprised me is that they all just walked out of the house after the shooting without securing the wounded suspect or the other occupant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOMNaJXparE
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post

Guy is inside the officer's reactionary gap instantly, that means the officer's should have made the first move with force not wait.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Guy is inside the officer's reactionary gap instantly, that means the officer's should have made the first move with force not wait.
    This is one of the hardest things to teach.
    I have been accused of being overly aggressive by some people for well over 20 years now because I do not wait for the suspect to make the first move. I go off all the indicators and articulate all the UOF reports accordingly. So far it has worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    I have been accused of being overly aggressive by some people for well over 20 years now because I do not wait for the suspect to make the first move. I go off all the indicators and articulate all the UOF reports accordingly. So far it has worked well for me.
    We have one goal, individually and collectively, which is to go home safe. The byproduct of this goal is that we want everyone else to go home safely as well. The caveat is that when we cannot be safe, we have to be dangerous. Understanding reactionary gap is the first step, taking action is the second, both of which are exceedingly difficult to teach and apply in the real world.

I tell everyone I explain this to (who I work with or any LEO I happen to be training/with) that reactionary gap, making the first move and using violence is perfectly acceptable and you will be able to clearly explain the logical (and legal) reasoning behind it which is supported by court precedent, modern police procedure and case law.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    Agreed, and what we pound into our officer's heads as well during training. De-escalation be damned, sometimes stuff just happens. Take care of the problem and each other.

Most cops respond appropriately in the moment, but the articulation and proper followup in the aftermath is the hard part to teach. That's why instructors should spend the majority of their time with students on scenario debriefs and not the scenario itself.

Teach policies so the officers know WHY their actions were justified. Teach scene security and immediate trauma care (physical and emotional). Teach what is and isn't appropriate to say while still in camera, in front of the public on scene as well as to investigators. Inform them of their rights following a UOF and what to expect.
    Last edited by iWander; 10-30-2017 at 01:15 PM.

One of the best approaches I have found in articulating an incident and simplifying the actual use of force was a course from FLETC called Use of Force Principles: Applying Graham v Connor or something close to that. It was a day long and covered use of force,pre attack indicators,report writing and documentation of how,why and when force is used including preemptive acts. Excellent course and the best I have had by far.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    One of the best approaches I have found in articulating an incident and simplifying the actual use of force was a course from FLETC called Use of Force Principles: Applying Graham v Connor or something close to that. It was a day long and covered use of force,pre attack indicators,report writing and documentation of how,why and when force is used including preemptive acts. Excellent course and the best I have had by far.
    I use Graham vs Connor every day in making decisions about dog deployments. It’s our Gold Standard for UoF. I think I write good reports but a guy I work with is just outstanding documenting it. Honestly he should be teaching it at the Academy.

We (K9) routinely write supplements that are longer then the original report. I wrote one supplement where the approving Sgt. Said he could smell the tension in the air prior to the use of lethal force. One of the best compliments I’ve been given.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    Sequoyah County, OK: Deputies serve warrant on sex offender, find him hiding under clothes. He stabs a deputy twice before being shot. Taser deployment by the second officer failed. One thing that surprised me is that they all just walked out of the house after the shooting without securing the wounded suspect or the other occupant.
    Paws before boots. Where’s the dog? He’d have told you where that guy was before you even entered that room.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    The article I read said the back-up officer that shot is the one that fired all the rounds, and 100% hits.

If I’m not mistaken, that officer (Andy Oblad) was the first officer that responded to the active shooter at Trolley Square Mall about 10 years ago.
    Yes, it was Oblad, and the shooting concluded his career in uniform due to the admin leave.

https://www.calibrepress.com/2017/10...-fatally-shot/

User Tag List