Page 87 of 374 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    This is a couple years old, but I don't think it's bee posted yet. I like to use it in a couple classes I teach.

If I remember right, that officer came out of retirement to work in a DUI unit. He sounds calmer on the radio after getting shot then some of our officers sound checking out on lunch break.

The officer had serious injuries, including a broken leg, and I think a broken wrist.
    For anyone else curious, I did the followup research. Bad guy will be in the can for a few decades. Not enough, but something.

"ALBUQUERQUE – Christopher Cook, 38, of Albuquerque, N.M., pleaded guilty this morning in U.S. District Court to violating the federal firearms laws by unlawfully possessing a firearm and ammunition on Jan. 3, 2015, the day he shot and seriously injured Officer Lou Golson of the Albuquerque Police Department (APD). The guilty plea was entered without the benefit of a plea agreement. At sentencing, Cook faces a statutory maximum penalty of ten years in prison unless the court determines that Cook is an armed career criminal. In that event, Cook will face an enhanced sentence of a statutory mandatory minimum of 15 years to a maximum of life in prison.
    Cook previously pled guilty in the Second Judicial District Court for the State of New Mexico to state charges arising from the Jan. 3, 2015, shooting of Officer Golson, including shooting at or from a motor vehicle (great bodily harm), aggravated battery on a police officer and receiving or transferring a motor vehicle. Cook was sentenced on the state charges on July 10, 2016, to 20 years in state custody. "

- Credit: US DoJ website
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Teenager shot in Huntington Beach this morning. From the video, we see a struggle with the suspect during which the suspect pulls something off of the officers belt or pocket. Officer stands up, draws, creates distance, and shoots 6 times (I can see at least two rounds make contact, probably more judging by the flinches), followed by a coup de grace that knocks the kid down. Honestly, he took those rounds like a champ until that last round (maybe under the influence)?

Article: http://ktla.com/2017/09/22/video-sho...side-7-eleven/

Video:

EDIT TO ADD:

One of the single dumbest things I've ever read in a news story:

"It was not immediately clear if the officer fired live ammunition or nonlethal rounds. When asked about this, Bennett repeatedly responded that the shooting was "an OIS."

Jesus Christ. The title of the article is: "Video Shows Huntington Beach Police Officer Fatally Shooting Man Outside 7-Eleven." Yes, Mr. Reporter, this was live ammunition, as you suspected. And there are no "nonlethal" rounds fried from a pistol that make a bang noise and go straight through people's bodies, as shown in the video. KTLA showing their stupidity...
    Last edited by Doug MacRay; 09-22-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Dumbest thing I've ever read
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Site Supporter
    I am interested in the back story of the above. What was in his hands?

Vending Machine Operator
    [Edited: I won't help anything by speculating]
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 09-22-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I am interested in the back story of the above. What was in his hands?
    It looks like an ASP to me, if anything. It's round at the tip, but short. It's carried at the officer's 4 o'clock, which would be his off-hand based on his carry side. So who the hell knows? Like Breech said, there's no point in speculating until we get a coroner's report or something similar. All that matters is that it's dark and black, so could be mistaken for nearly anything, from knife to baton to gun.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    It looks like an ASP to me, if anything. It's round at the tip, but short. It's carried at the officer's 4 o'clock, which would be his off-hand based on his carry side. So who the hell knows? Like Breech said, there's no point in speculating until we get a coroner's report or something similar. All that matters is that it's dark and black, so could be mistaken for nearly anything, from knife to baton to gun.
    That seems like a logical conclusion. I stopped carrying my ASP, but if one gets taken from you it becomes a deadly force scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That seems like a logical conclusion. I stopped carrying my ASP, but if one gets taken from you it becomes a deadly force scenario.
    Could you add a little detail to your statement? Is deadly force justified just because the suspect has it in his hand as in the video? (Assuming that's what he had)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Could you add a little detail to your statement? Is deadly force justified just because the suspect has it in his hand as in the video? (Assuming that's what he had)
    Deadly force is without a doubt justified... individual was resisting arrest... then upon rising and turning has a small dark object in his hands. Could have easily been a pistol, turns out it was one of the officers spare magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    Deadly force is without a doubt justified... individual was resisting arrest... then upon rising and turning has a small dark object in his hands. Could have easily been a pistol, turns out it was one of the officers spare magazines.
    That isn't what I was asking at all. I'm specifically referring to Newbie's comment about the ASP baton. And for what it's worth, regarding your comment, a small dark object justifies deadly force?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    A baton is a deadly force weapon when applied to the head/neck/spine - and warrants an appropriate response. It's a LESS lethal weapon, not a NON lethal weapon.

White Crane pointed out that it turns out to be a spare magazine in the offender's hand, not a baton - but we're not allowed to MMQB the officer's perception from the comfort of our easy chairs. Objective reasonableness means we have to take the officer's perception AT THE TIME to be reality, unless it's GROSSLY mistaken.

User Tag List