Page 342 of 374 FirstFirst ... 242292332340341342343344352 ... LastLast
Results 3,411 to 3,420 of 3733

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Do you know if fugitive apprehension is a primary job of that team?
    Not AFAIK. But this was a high risk suspect. The current standard for use of SWAT in most agencies is a risk matrix.

If the suspect / target scores over the magic number on the matrix SWAT is utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not AFAIK. But this was a high risk suspect. The current standard for use of SWAT in most agencies is a risk matrix.

If the suspect / target scores over the magic number on the matrix SWAT is utilized.
    Absolutely. Locally, we have some smaller agencies that their SWAT does everything. Barricades, hostage rescue, covers, surveillance, fugitive apprehension, etc. Then there are other agencies that SWAT does SWAT things, and there’s more specialized units that do the FA mission. Just curious. Thanks.

Site Supporter

Albuquerque Police Shoot Man As He Approaches Officers With a Makeshift Spear

Albuquerque, New Mexico — On May 19, 2023, around 3:00 p.m., a woman called 911 to report that her brother, later identified as 42-year-old David Gaylor, informed her he purchased a rope and was planning on killing himself. Gaylor told his sister that if she arrived at his apartment, he would kill her, as well. Gaylor’s sister provided his address, 2525 Tingley Dr SW. She also said Gaylor was diagnosed as having schizoaffective and bipolar disorder. Officers were dispatched to that location. One of the officers, who is trained in enhanced crisis intervention, spoke with Gaylor’s sister by phone to get more information about the situation.

The officer requested a Mobile Crisis Unit, but there were no units available. Officers attempted to make contact with Gaylor at his apartment, but he refused to answer the door. Officers tried speaking with Gaylor through the closed door and through an open window in the back of the apartment. As officers walked toward the front door for a second time, Gaylor opened the door, turned the corner and lunged at the closest officer with a 6-foot pole with a knife taped to the end. The officer drew his handgun as he backed away from Gaylor and ordered Gaylor to drop the makeshift spear. As Gaylor stepped toward the first officer, he noticed the other two officers to his right, in the breezeway.

They also stepped back and drew lethal and less-lethal weapons. Gaylor eventually turned his attention to those officers and advanced toward them, as they told him to drop his weapon. One of the officers attempted to utilize his Taser, using Close Quarter Cartridges. He deployed the Taser two times but it had no affect. The first two probes impacted Gaylor, but the second deployment did not have any connection. When the Taser was deployed, Gaylor began to swipe his makeshift spear to cut the leads. Gaylor continued to advance toward the two officers with the weapon, and both officers fired their handguns. Gaylor was struck by the gunfire. Officers and rescue personnel attempted lifesaving measures, but Gaylor died as a result of his wounds.

The second BWC segment here shows why correct malfunction training is important, even if one is carrying "perfection" in one's holster.

The alternative to correct technique results in the stuff of nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzoWXJx2jg

Malfunction training is important.

What I saw looked like an officer who was carrying without a round in the chamber, and in his hast to retreat so he could rack the slide, did not execute a full rack of the slide, creating the malfunction.
    To those who mistakenly think its safer to carry their firearm on an empty chamber, to me, this is one of the number one reasons not to do so.
    Thankfully, the other officer was ready and responded with LF and both officers went home at the end of their shift.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wire View Post
    Malfunction training is important.

What I saw looked like an officer who was carrying without a round in the chamber, and in his hast to retreat so he could rack the slide, did not execute a full rack of the slide, creating the malfunction.
    To those who mistakenly think its safer to carry their firearm on an empty chamber, to me, this is one of the number one reasons not to do so.
    Thankfully, the other officer was ready and responded with LF and both officers went home at the end of their shift.
    If you scroll back through this thread there have been two other OIS posted in the last few months where officers were carrying chamber empty. One in NM and the other, I believe in Florida.

However, in those instances, the officers racked a round in immediately, indicating they were intentionally carrying chamber empty. In this instance, it appeared the officer got a click when he expected a bang.

If you scroll back through this thread there have been two other OIS posted in the last few months where officers were carrying chamber empty. One in NM and the other, I believe in Florida.

However, in those instances, the officers racked a round in immediately, indicating they were intentionally carrying chamber empty. In this instance, it appeared the officer got a click when he expected a bang.
    I've watched the video 6-8 times and while my old eyes and ears aren't what they used to be, I can't readily perceive the 'click' beforehand as mentioned, you may be correct, and I may be mistaken in my original interpretation.

It was fortunate that the officer was able to correct the malfunction and get back into battery and retreat to cover and also have the presents of mind to check on his fellow officer's position and well being.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wire View Post
    I've watched the video 6-8 times and while my old eyes and ears aren't what they used to be, I can't readily perceive the 'click' beforehand as mentioned, you may be correct, and I may be mistaken in my original interpretation.

It was fortunate that the officer was able to correct the malfunction and get back into battery and retreat to cover and also have the presents of mind to check on his fellow officer's position and well being.
    I don’t hear a click on the video. I’m basing that on his actions / behavior visible on the BWC. He was gun out / aimed in before he began his malfunction clearance actions.

In the other two videos, the behavior is different. The officers are drawing and racking a round into the chamber as they present the gun.

Lots of ways to get a click instead of a bang besides intentionally carrying chamber empty.

I’ve personally seen officers who were unaware they did not have a round chambered, were unaware they did not have a magazine in their holstered gun etc. I’ve even seen an officer who knocked down a suspect with warrants for us on a traffic stop leave his gun in the Sally port locker at the jail and show up to assist in executing a search warrant on the suspect residence without his pistol.

There is also a well documented incident out of Gwinnett county, GA where an officer’s habit of chambering the same round daily for months resulted in a dead primer when he attempted to fire during an OIS.

Stuff happens.

PS- I’ve also seen two LEOs from different agencies, with different duty guns unintentionally wind up with each others guns because the keys to the gun lockers at the courthouse fit multiple lockers. It was a week before they noticed.

PSS -Also had an officer show up to qualify with his P229 only to find out his magazines wouldn’t fit in his 229. He’d gone shooting with his brother in law who shot a SIG SP2022 and accidentally swapped magazines.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    The second BWC segment here shows why correct malfunction training is important, even if one is carrying "perfection" in one's holster.

The alternative to correct technique results in the stuff of nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzoWXJx2jg

There is a separate thread on this incident here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....k-Jams%85Badly

There is a separate thread on this incident here:
    Sorry, had not seen that. @Clusterfrack, please remove if necessary or improperly posted here.

User Tag List