Page 31 of 373 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Ah that's more than a few
    one or a dozen, its all the same amount of paperwork...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I pushed that video out to my folks with these comments:

I know you guys think I'm obsessive about using a particular draw stroke. It is sometimes hard to communicate why minute details matter until you see the consequences in real life. This video is an excellent example of an officer not bringing the pistol back to a good #3 or #2 and almost dying for it and getting an innocent shot in the process.

We love to drive our guns to full extension because that is where we shoot best. We must realize that any time you are pushing the gun to full extension, you are making a bold statement that you have sufficient time and distance for that extension.

In tight spaces, such as clearing a corner, there is not room to fully extend the gun, if you want to guarantee it's control. It needs to be back in #3. If the gun had been there to begin with, she could have started shooting BG as he closed. Had she retracted the gun to #2, she could have dumped the magazine into him BEFORE he laid a hand on her gun.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

I know you guys think I'm obsessive about using a particular draw stroke. It is sometimes hard to communicate why minute details matter until you see the consequences in real life. This video is an excellent example of an officer not bringing the pistol back to a good #3 or #2 and almost dying for it and getting an innocent shot in the process.

We love to drive our guns to full extension because that is where we shoot best. We must realize that any time you are pushing the gun to full extension, you are making a bold statement that you have sufficient time and distance for that extension.

In tight spaces, such as clearing a corner, there is not room to fully extend the gun, if you want to guarantee it's control. It needs to be back in #3. If the gun had been there to begin with, she could have started shooting BG as he closed. Had she retracted the gun to #2, she could have dumped the magazine into him BEFORE he laid a hand on her gun.
    This is often the big disconnect. The "shooting problem" was not difficult. The problem was complex and the gun was not the initial solution, and became a liability to the initial officer. Pistol fights and fist fights share a ton of similarities and FOR THE LE OFFICERS in particular, it is a major issue and requires often neglected training as the two types of altercations become interwoven often. Unfortunately, very little time and effort is spent in training for this because it has a higher risk factor and folks can get hurt during training, thus the easy answer is to just not do it. I spent a ton of time on this on my own and with my guys and paid off for me personally, and for several of my guys.

Great commentary John and glad you pushed it out there.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I hate to MMQ, but it kinda looks like the female officer was responding to the bus drivers urgency, not the situation. Was everybody off the bus? Was the guy alone? Any indication of a weapon? Why the hell would you run onto the bus with a gun in your hand in close quarters? That said, at least she held onto her weapon and didn't lose it to the suspect. And her backup pretty much didn't have any other option there......gotta take the shot that's presented to stop an immediate threat. As for one shot or twelve.....might be the same length report initially, but the City Attorney might feel differently about that workload in this environment.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Has anyone taken a look at this yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...th-arms-in-air

There are 2 videos, a before and after of the shooting, so it's hard to say... but at the same time, it looks pretty damn bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Has anyone taken a look at this yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...th-arms-in-air

There are 2 videos, a before and after of the shooting, so it's hard to say... but at the same time, it looks pretty damn bad.
    Saw it earlier, and will give an early prediction without all the facts of a Negligent Discharge.

As much as I can say that the Alton Sterling shooting was a very good shoot (biggest failure on that was using a taser on a suspect with a gun, but can see why in the political climate), we also have to call the bad ones. South Carolina and Chicago, and likely this one are cases of screw ups. Most of these can be traced right back to massive training and retention failures of people who are usually quick to drive the bus over the result of their leadership failures. Defend your good ones, admit your bad ones, and most importantly.....fix training based on both.

Unlike cases in South Carolina where you have officers react and respond poorly to resistance, this is may be a case of sheer negligent firearms handling. Hopefully, more facts will be released.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 07-21-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

We had this hammered home to us by a trainer that USSOCOM used to send us to. We did a LOT of FOF in enclosed spaces, and if you led with a muzzle around a corner, or drew "out" into the threat, you better be ready to grapple - and be dog piled.

I'm glad this one turned out the way it did, obviously a severely disturbed individual who was a clear danger to the public, and I'm glad that first officer managed to keep herself from getting shot with her own gun.

Here's a link to our latest OIS.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nola....?client=safari

Here is the Sheriff at the press conference following the shooting.

http://www.leoaffairs.com/featured/v...es-not-victim/

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    Here's a link to our latest OIS.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nola....?client=safari

Here is the Sheriff at the press conference following the shooting.

http://www.leoaffairs.com/featured/v...es-not-victim/

JR1572
    Watched the video to "In the Still of the Night". Pandora is entertaining sometimes.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

This popped up in my FB feed today:

Suspect attempts to murder police officer while already handcuffed:

http://www.fugitive.com/2016/08/02/h...ght-on-camera/

User Tag List