Page 195 of 373 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 3730

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Site Supporter
    This one happened in my town, but with the city department not mine. Cops were responding to reports of brandishing a large knife/machete and a possible robbery. Unfortunately the person that took this video put music over it so you can't hear the commands or the less lethal stuff. The first one gets hit with a 40mm and then they send the dog. The second one that gets a ride with the ECW took a probe to the face.

I thought the dog was going to take the leg but he surprised me going to the arm. Good bite taking the moving suspect. The lockup on the taser was outstanding.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    This one happened in my town, but with the city department not mine. Cops were responding to reports of brandishing a large knife/machete and a possible robbery. Unfortunately the person that took this video put music over it so you can't hear the commands or the less lethal stuff. The first one gets hit with a 40mm and then they send the dog. The second one that gets a ride with the ECW took a probe to the face.

Just curious - is there a high risk for head injury when somebody goes down to a taser like that? Not criticizing, genuinely interested.

Site Supporter
    Yes, as does a taser probe to the face. However when you attack a police dog you are lucky to only get a ride of Edison medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Just curious - is there a high risk for head injury when somebody goes down to a taser like that? Not criticizing, genuinely interested.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sure, any fall can lead to bruising or the like. Serious head injury? Never seen it. Tasers overall reduce the number and severity of injuries to both suspects and officers.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sure, any fall can lead to bruising or the like. Serious head injury? Never seen it. Tasers overall reduce the number and severity of injuries to both suspects and officers.
    In my agency I am a decade long taser instructor and a multi decade user. I have tased more cops in training than suspects in the field. Despite Taser International moving the goal posts on a regular basis serious injuries are the the exception, rather than the rule. The worst injury I have seen was facial injuries on a suspect that tried to run a few years ago who fell down and went boom....

Tasers are good stuff, when used properly. They don't always work as well as they should, but they work more often than not.

pat

Site Supporter
    Yes, there is a risk of,a head injury, but really, what are the options??? One of the biggest decision making issues is how do we resolve this situation with the fewest casualties? The officer that takes the decision to use that level of force has to be able to explain (justify) it. Taser training has changed over the last few years to accommodate those issues. Tasers have fewer residual issues than OC, or baton strikes, but they still require justification.

So yes, the tasing officer owns the decision, and its potential outcomes....

I have been tased a few times, and would rather be tased than OC'd any day of the week.

There are a lot of rules concerning Tasers and their applications to suspects (raised platform, running on a hard surface, under water applications,etc), but when the Taser is the right tool for the job, nothing else quite works so well. I have had taser failures, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

If someone is acting in a manner that a resonable officer would feel the need to dump them, whether with a taser or not, they would likely need to be dumped. You can dump someone with a taser, OC, a baton, or an armbar...each option has potential residual effects, but there you are.

Take a decision, or don't...you will have to answer for your decisions one way or another. Do or do not. There is no try.

In my experience the Taser is the far lesser use of force than elbows, knees, OC, or baton strokes.

pat

Site Supporter
    I recall a civil case in which the suspect fell face forward after being Tasered and lost some teeth some years ago. Either the officer was somewhat fast to deploy on a possible mentally ill subject who hadn't committed any serious crimes or, alternatively, the city/county defense was weak on articulation on why the officer deployed the Taser. Poor articulation by the agency and its legal counsel, good media relations by plaintiff attorneys, and media bias against law enforcement frequently influence opinions on use of force.

Tasers are very effective police tools. Their deployment has vastly reduced injuries and deaths to both suspects and LEO's. Unfortunately, when deployed, the suspect's attorney, the family, and the media consider it electronic torture. When Tasers are not used or are ineffective, the same parties consider it a failure by law enforcement.

As great as Tasers are, they are not be-all/end-all less-lethal weapons. Tasers fail frequently. Tasers require two probes to deploy on wires to parts of the suspect's body to cause "lock up" the suspect. Heavy clothing, body fat, and misses by one or both probes are often causes of failures, While my data is a few years old, effectiveness is my former agency (matched by LAPD and Topeka at the same time) rated effectiveness at 50-60%.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Yes, as does a taser probe to the face. However when you attack a police dog you are lucky to only get a ride of Edison medicine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    In my agency I am a decade long taser instructor and a multi decade user. I have tased more cops in training than suspects in the field. Despite Taser International moving the goal posts on a regular basis serious injuries are the the exception, rather than the rule. The worst injury I have seen was facial injuries on a suspect that tried to run a few years ago who fell down and went boom....

Tasers are good stuff, when used properly. They don't always work as well as they should, but they work more often than not.

pat
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Yes, there is a risk of,a head injury, but really, what are the options??? One of the biggest decision making issues is how do we resolve this situation with the fewest casualties? The officer that takes the decision to use that level of force has to be able to explain (justify) it. Taser training has changed over the last few years to accommodate those issues. Tasers have fewer residual issues than OC, or baton strikes, but they still require justification.

So yes, the tasing officer owns the decision, and its potential outcomes....

I have been tased a few times, and would rather be tased than OC'd any day of the week.

There are a lot of rules concerning Tasers and their applications to suspects (raised platform, running on a hard surface, under water applications,etc), but when the Taser is the right tool for the job, nothing else quite works so well. I have had taser failures, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

If someone is acting in a manner that a resonable officer would feel the need to dump them, whether with a taser or not, they would likely need to be dumped. You can dump someone with a taser, OC, a baton, or an armbar...each option has potential residual effects, but there you are.

Take a decision, or don't...you will have to answer for your decisions one way or another. Do or do not. There is no try.

In my experience the Taser is the far lesser use of force than elbows, knees, OC, or baton strokes.

pat
    I appreciate the feedback and info. For clarity, I wasn't questioning the use of force. From my layperson's perspective, it looked entirely reasonable.

Site Supporter
    https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...tii-story.html

Crazed suspect kicks cop onto Harlem subway tracks as he’s placed under arrest

A police officer patrolling a Harlem subway station survived a cop’s worst nightmare Friday when she was kicked onto the tracks during an early-morning arrest of a suspected fare beater that was captured on video.
    Officer Carolyn Anderson fractured her right wrist during the frightening fall after she and another officer tried to subdue the suspect shortly after 2 a.m. at the 125th Street station along the Lexington Avenue line, said law enforcement sources.

Anderson tried to secure the legs of Anquando Johnson, 25, while her partner, rookie cop Elijah Pardieu, pressed his arms and torso to the platform floor, the harrowing cell phone video shows.
    The cell phone cameraman, Joaquin Santiago, said Johnson spit on the cops during the struggle. “I was shocked by the whole thing,” Santiago said. “I just took out my phone and started shooting."
    It appeared to Santiago that officers Anderson and Pardieu were seeking Johnson before they tried to arrest him. “He came down the stairs and they came after him,” Santiago said. "They were looking for him. One of them said, ‘Is that him?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, it’s me.’”
    When he was finally cuffed and placed on a stretcher, Johnson spewed more bitter words and spit at another cop, said sources.
    "I have needles,” he said, according to a source. “I hope you catch HIV.”

“He turned while he was being handcuffed and spit in the cops face. And this during the coronavirus,” Santiago said.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-18-2020 at 01:20 AM.

User Tag List