Page 192 of 374 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 3733

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Any idea why they would persist in a foot pursuit over an open alcohol container? That seemed super dangerous to the criminal and the cops running through traffic and ultimately ended in the criminal's death. For an open container....
    It looked to me like they rolled up looking for this individual or someone matching a description. They rolled in pretty fast as if they had a description of the man already and found the person they wanted.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy Brown View Post
    It looked to me like they rolled up looking for this individual or someone matching a description. They rolled in pretty fast as if they had a description of the man already and found the person they wanted.
    This. They rolled in with a purpose, and attempted to position to stop his walking away.

This is the reality of police work. You don't know what the suspect knows. Twenty years ago my partner and I tried to stop a driver for no headlights on at night. He sped off. Back then, we could pursue for traffic violations and failure to yield, within reason. The pursuit was short (he got stuck in traffic a few block later), then he bailed and it was a foot chase for three blocks. Unbeknownst to us, he was a Parolee at Large who was on a drug fueled armed robbery binge in a stolen car. Five minutes earlier he had pistol whipped a 60 year old nurse, breaking her orbital socket and cheekbone. There were 8 stolen purses in the back of that stolen car. He ended up pulling a gun on us when he ran into a fenced parking lot and had nowhere to go. Spoiler: he lost. His right leg and his right lung. Still went away 25 to life.

Traffic stops are a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. Noteworthy is that today....that guy continues his spree, injuring and maybe killing someone, as long as he stays in the car. No pursuit.

In my old agency, the street crimes guys would have uniforms come in to scoop up people their CIs had ratted on. They would have patrol bring the suspect back to the PD to question them further and protect the identity of the CI. Usually petty issues like “open container” were used for the pretextual stop.

Thankfully, in my new agency, we are allowed to be police still. A beat partner had a traffic stop on a vehicle suspected to be involved in a string of car burglaries. They fled. He chased and got them. Pulled 4 hand guns out of the car and hooked 4 known felons from the major city an hour south of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Any idea why they would persist in a foot pursuit over an open alcohol container? That seemed super dangerous to the criminal and the cops running through traffic and ultimately ended in the criminal's death. For an open container....
    Most of our "open container" regulars are also homeless who stand at major intersections and hold their hand out and folks stop left and right to "help them".

Little do they know that when they stop in traffic....usually on a green light......they cause a metric ton of crashes behind them....some with serious injuries when motorcyclist are forced to stop on a green due to traffic and some old lady with bad eye sight and a huge Buick run over the M/C guy. Lost limbs....deaths......

Homeless open container dude just wanders off to enjoy the quick cash and his next fix. Meanwhile, cops like those two in the video come clean up the aftermath. Another cute thing they do is get good and drunk on the love offerings of the day and stumble and fall out into traffic. On the rare occasion, this causes some driver to swerve violently and take out a pedestrian further on down the road when they over-correct and go up on the sidewalk.

So yeah. Chasing these guys down when they run? After being told not to for valid, lawful reasons? Yeah....we do that all of the time. Because people get tired of destruction and mayhem on their daily commute. And they call it in and say "why aren't y'all doing anything about this????"

Is that a reason to face shoot him? No, and that is why they were using just the basic force to get him in custody.

But......

HE CHOSE TO DISARM A COP. His choices caused the outcome.

I've survived gun grabs in fights for little, stupid charges. Sometimes they are just grabbing for dear life in the moment....other times they are trying their level best to gain control of a weapon.

What difference does it really make his motivation to do so? You get control of my partner's gun, I'm punching your ticket in a most violent fashion.

Truly hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Is the G-Code stuff generally considered duty-ready?
    After seeing the video, I would vote no, but interested in hearing more about his. Most agencies I know of would likely view it as an impermissible modification to a Safariland holster, but that doesn't mean much; modifying a duty gun with grips that fit the hand better or sights that suit one's eyes better or moving a baton holder a couple inches can induce stroke-like symptoms in certain people in some of those agencies.

As everyone in and out of uniform knows, the unknown and a moment's complacency can kill you. You don't know what you don't know at any given moment.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/reflect...y-r-stymiloski

Gary was the first officer I worked with that died on the job. It was a bitter pill to swallow...and a lesson learned for life.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Most of our "open container" regulars are also homeless who stand at major intersections and hold their hand out and folks stop left and right to "help them".

Little do they know that when they stop in traffic....usually on a green light......they cause a metric ton of crashes behind them....some with serious injuries when motorcyclist are forced to stop on a green due to traffic and some old lady with bad eye sight and a huge Buick run over the M/C guy. Lost limbs....deaths......

Homeless open container dude just wanders off to enjoy the quick cash and his next fix. Meanwhile, cops like those two in the video come clean up the aftermath. Another cute thing they do is get good and drunk on the love offerings of the day and stumble and fall out into traffic. On the rare occasion, this causes some driver to swerve violently and take out a pedestrian further on down the road when they over-correct and go up on the sidewalk.

So yeah. Chasing these guys down when they run? After being told not to for valid, lawful reasons? Yeah....we do that all of the time. Because people get tired of destruction and mayhem on their daily commute. And they call it in and say "why aren't y'all doing anything about this????"

Is that a reason to face shoot him? No, and that is why they were using just the basic force to get him in custody.

But......

HE CHOSE TO DISARM A COP. His choices caused the outcome.

I've survived gun grabs in fights for little, stupid charges. Sometimes they are just grabbing for dear life in the moment....other times they are trying their level best to gain control of a weapon.

What difference does it really make his motivation to do so? You get control of my partner's gun, I'm punching your ticket in a most violent fashion.

Truly hope this helps.
    It does definitely help.

To be clear I am not questioning the decision to use deadly force at the end of this one. That is a done deal and extremely clear.

I am pretty surprised the cops would chase him into traffic at the risk of their own lives. Especially when the intro to the video states it was an "open container" violation. Distraction while driving is huge, and it would be so easy to get target focused then killed by some driver who isn't paying attention. If this is what good, aggressive policing looks like, and you and TGS have clearly delineated that it is part of the job, then good for them. We need more cops willing to do this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    As everyone in and out of uniform knows, the unknown and a moment's complacency can kill you. You don't know what you don't know at any given moment.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/reflect...y-r-stymiloski

Gary was the first officer I worked with that died on the job. It was a bitter pill to swallow...and a lesson learned for life.

Blues, were you on the job when the US Customs Inspector was kidnapped at a Texas/Mexico POE and later executed?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Blues, were you on the job when the US Customs Inspector was kidnapped at a Texas/Mexico POE and later executed?
    I should remember the incident but it doesn't come to mind immediately.

The one that I knew personally and was a friend, (and had the pleasure of arresting the scum that he was chasing on the night of his death), was this case.

I knew one other Customs agent that was murdered at his home in Atlanta by an escaped murderer, but unrelated directly to his work.

A few blocks away, David Wilhelm, an off-duty assistant special agent in charge at the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency, was working on a new home he and his wife were building on Canter Road when Mr. Nichols apparently found him. Mr. Wilhelm's body was found by a construction worker at 6:30 or 7 a.m., the police said.

Mr. Nichols had taken the agent's badge, gun and blue Chevrolet truck, the police said. He drove the truck 15 miles northeast to the Bridgewater complex. There, some time in the very early morning, Mr. Nichols saw a woman entering her apartment and forced his way in, the police said.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I should remember the incident but it doesn't come to mind immediately.

The one that I knew personally and was a friend, (and had the pleasure of arresting the scum that he was chasing on the night of his death), was this case.

I knew one other Customs agent that was murdered at his home in Atlanta by an escaped murderer, but unrelated directly to his work.
    I’m sorry about the loss of your friens, but I’m glad both guilty parties paid a price for their evil.

This is the one I’m thinking about.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/7933-in...rd-mack-latham

User Tag List