Page 173 of 373 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 3727

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

"positioning of the cruiser, often with lights on"

IMHE, that's pretty effective from the homeowner's perspective. We lived in a pretty high activity area for a couple of decades, and many times I've known about something going on a couple of houses down because I could see the red-n-blue pulsing through our bedroom window, even though the window was on the opposite side of the house from whatever was going on.

It probably depends on a lot of things, for example this was in Seattle, and a little mist in the air really reflects light around, but it can sure work well at times.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Good points about LE vs criminals regarding light usage. Not sure how many people in the public would think of that though.
    The only home invasion that ever happened in my small town used headlights fully illuminated and cell-phone flashlights. There's no way to navigate a rural night otherwise.

Both (ultimately friendly) nighttime trespassers I've dealt with have had lights.

"Bad guys don't use lights" might be an urban thing. There are no street lights here.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 10-14-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    The only home invasion that ever happened in my small town used headlights fully illuminated and cell-phone flashlights. There's no way to navigate a rural night otherwise.

Both (ultimately friendly) nighttime trespassers I've dealt with have had lights.

"Bad guys don't use lights" might be an urban thing. There are no street lights here.
    Same thing here. I had my yard cased at 3am by a guy with one of those vehicle mounted spotlights, on a state trooper surplus SUV. My first reactions was, WTF are the troopers spot lighting my yard for, second reaction as it slow rolled past was that hey that's not a trooper license plate. The guy was busted breaking into a neighbor's place the next night.

One of the rare murders here was perpetrated at night when the perp shut off the generator providing electricity to a home. When the homeowner stepped out to see what was up, he was greeted with a high powered LED flashlight to the eyes and a bullet to the face.

Every single trespasser I have busted in the last decade has had some sort of headlamp/flashlight. It's only been a half dozen in those years, but when I see flashlight I don't think LEO.

Site Supporter
    Having been involved in a large number of foot chases, area searches, and canine searches, there are far more "unknowns" and "good guys" out there than suspects. Decisional shooting is vital. During the Dorner searches on this very board we have hashed out when and why to muzzle people, that we are behind the power curve, but that we absolutely have be sure before launching rounds. That is a large part of what makes this job dangerous.

A much larger agency then mine has completely redone how they do canine searches. They will drive the perimeter of their search area making repeated PA announcements. They give instructions to the residents, and instructions and warnings to the suspect(s). Then all perimeter units need to report that they heard the announcements. 20 years ago I would have rolled my eyes, but this seems like a good idea now. Homeowners are told what they need to know, suspects are told what they need to know, and it seems to be working well for a large urban agency.

This was not a canine search, but I also go to a lot of open door/suspicious circumstances calls as well. I have been surprised by homeowners while conducting searches, and even muzzled a couple. No one has been shot. I use the ALERRT modified scan of whole person, hands, waistband, demeanor, immediate area scan. I have also been the homeowner when a foot chase came through my yard, and another time Igot dressed for work, heard something on my front yard and found a local and federal SWAT team in my yard.

pat

Regarding hand-held illumination devices, a small flashlight, and sometimes not-so-small, are stereotypical burglars’ tools. What has recently changed, is that cheap lights now have lumens to match the expensive ones.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Sorry couldnt get the video to embed

https://reddit.app.link/5uPzhDquW0
    Last edited by UNK; 10-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Just a reminder, let's stay on topic. This is a big thread and when there's a bunch of tangents it can get hard for folks to follow. This is not to say the other conversations aren't worth having, this just isn't the thread for them.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Sorry couldnt get the video to embed

https://reddit.app.link/5uPzhDquW0
    Deputy seemed to do a good job overall containing things given he was solo; couldn't help but think about how exposed he was if the crowd decided to go the other way...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Deputy seemed to do a good job overall containing things given he was solo; couldn't help but think about how exposed he was if the crowd decided to go the other way...
    Ehh probably wouldnt have had to shoot more than a few. I have to admit Im a bit disappointed. I thought all those tattos made u HARD. 🙄😂 sarc

ETA sorry for the flippant reply. You are correct. A different crowd and it could have been serious.
    Last edited by UNK; 10-20-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Interesting one from Active Self Protection this morning...

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List