Page 121 of 374 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 3732

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    At first I thought it fell out but it sounded like he might have hit the button.

Just glad they all appear to have taken care of business unscathed.

RE your comments on training, maybe teach them how perform a function check too?

I attended a patrol rifle one day class last week where I work.

After seeing little to no training for years, they are finally getting around to teaching these kids transitions, malfunction drills, etc.

This doesn't surprise me a bit.

Glad they worked through it in all the chaos.

Regards.

If you slow down the video, it's apparent the officer doesn't have a magazine in his rifle when he raises it to fire. There's no magazine on the ground after he drops the rifle either. The gunshot heard right before is from the officer at the entrance of the building; his body camera footage is amended onto the end of this video at about 2:15.

https://youtu.be/UokZZSwNy_8?t=2m15s

No idea what that sound right before the "fuck" was though - it definitely sounds like an AR mag hitting the ground, but it wasn't one.

I wonder if it was a scenario where he inserted the mag on a closed bolt or something but didn't make sure it locked into place. I've done that for sure in 3 gun competitions, with the requisite "fuck!" following shortly thereafter... He could have been indexing his finger near the mag release and accidentally engaged it too. I suppose we'll probably never know.

I think we know he wasn’t carrying a spare mag - something that seems like a good plan if going in to an active shooter environment. I’m guessing this is a ‘got a patrol rifle in the trunk and will figure it out when I need to’ mindset.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    ... I suppose we'll probably never know.
    We may not, but if CPD’s training staff is worth a single solitary fuck, they better talk to that Officer and figure out WTF caused that. If it’s a training issue then they need to fix it. Right or wrong, that video is a definite “WTF is wrong with that guy” moment, at least to people who know about these things.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I think we know he wasn’t carrying a spare mag - something that seems like a good plan if going in to an active shooter environment. I’m guessing this is a ‘got a patrol rifle in the trunk and will figure it out when I need to’ mindset.
    Well, to be fair we don't know for sure whether it was a mindset issue. I think it's premature to declare it such....we simply don't have the information.

Lessons learned from active shooter responses are that it's very common to have stuff left behind if it's not on you, or in your immediate reach in the cab. So if he had a go-bag, plate carrier or bandolier of ammo it may have been in the trunk for a number of plausible reasons (department policy on having unsecured ammo in the cab? Running with a partner? etc), and he forgot to grab it, like humans have been shown to do in similar situations.

Who knows why his rifle didn't have a mag in it. For all we know, it could have been mounted in the cab and sometime during his movement the mag dropped out due to no fault of his own. Shit happens sometimes. Not having an AR reload on his belt, as well, is very commonplace. I've never personally seen a cop with one. That's also much less a mindset issue, and more an issue of competing priorities (weight, space, chance of needing it vs that 2nd pair of cuffs or whatever piece of gear you'd have to sacrifice).

ETA: The only thing that solidly tells me there is a training issue is that he discarded the rifle on the ground instead of slinging it. Something in retrospect that he, like most anyone, knows isn't a good idea or proper course of action.....but people do weird stuff under stress, especially if they haven't had a particular action-on-contact drilled into subconscious competency.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-10-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, to be fair we don't know for sure whether it was a mindset issue. I think it's premature to declare it such....we simply don't have the information.

Lessons learned from active shooter responses are that it's very common to have stuff left behind if it's not on you, or in your immediate reach in the cab. So if he had a go-bag, plate carrier or bandolier of ammo it may have been in the trunk for a number of plausible reasons (department policy on having unsecured ammo in the cab? Running with a partner? etc), and he forgot to grab it, like humans have been shown to do in similar situations.

Who knows why his rifle didn't have a mag in it. For all we know, it could have been mounted in the cab and sometime during his movement the mag dropped out due to no fault of his own. Shit happens sometimes. Not having an AR reload on his belt, as well, is very commonplace. I've never personally seen a cop with one. That's also much less a mindset issue, and more an issue of competing priorities (weight, space, chance of needing it vs that 2nd pair of cuffs or whatever piece of gear you'd have to sacrifice).

ETA: The only thing that solidly tells me there is a training issue is that he discarded the rifle on the ground instead of slinging it. Something in retrospect that he, like most anyone, knows isn't a good idea or proper course of action.....but people do weird stuff under stress, especially if they haven't had a particular action-on-contact drilled into subconscious competency.
    I didn't see the rifle fire - not sure it had a round chambered in it either. I might have heard a click, hard to say.

Good muzzle discipline on the part of the officer he somewhat unexpectedly jumped in front of.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I didn't see the rifle fire - not sure it had a round chambered in it either. I might have heard a click, hard to say.
    It's pretty common to have rifles carried chamber empty, mag inserted......also known as "cruiser ready".

So it's very plausible that as another astute member noted, the mag could have fallen out. Cruiser ready, mag gets accidentally ejected or isn't totally inserted when he pulls the rifle from the rack and tries to charge it...….that's one very possible explanation.

All I wanted to point out is that we don't know. While it's incumbent on him, as well as his PD to find out what happened in order to improve future TTPs, I don't see how anyone on the internet should be making any declaratory statements about him.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-10-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's pretty common to have rifles carried chamber empty, mag inserted......also known as "cruiser ready".

So it's very plausible that as another astute member noted, the mag could have fallen out. Cruiser ready, mag gets accidentally ejected or isn't totally inserted when he pulls the rifle from the rack and tries to charge it...….that's one very possible explanation.

All I wanted to point out is that we don't know. While it's incumbent on him, as well as his PD to find out what happened in order to improve future TTPs, I don't see how anyone on the internet should be making any declaratory statements about him.
    I'm not walking on egg shells - there's a fair chance he actively went in to a fight with a non-operational (no round chambered) or compromised (no mag inserted, no spare mag) rifle and was lucky not to get a fatal surprise.

I think the lesson here is to verify your rifle status before you need it - mag inserted, press-check for round in chamber, safety on. A patrol rifle (including HD rifle) isn't the same as a chambered, striker-fired handgun.

User Tag List