Page 101 of 374 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 3732

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Following the acquittal of former Officer Brailsford in the shooting death of Daniel Shaver, video of the incident was unsealed by the judge in the case. It's important to note that the person giving commands is not the shooter. The shooter is the one who was tried for the killing and the one giving commands is his Sergeant (who retired soon after the shooting). The police were responding to a call about someone with a rifle in a hotel room (witness saw it through the window). The subject who was shot had a BAC of >.26 according to the coroner.

Beyond the initial contact, it's hard to see anything that was handled appropriately by the responding officers. This is also a good case study on why having unnecessary super-moto hoorah gear can make you look like shit when you actually have to use it. Having "You're Fucked" written on your dust cover might make you look cool to your range buddies, but it makes you look like a psychopath to the general public. This is a rather depressing case all around.

Name:  hN9057O.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  55.2 KB

"I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    Following the acquittal of former Officer Brailsford in the shooting death of Daniel Shaver, video of the incident was unsealed by the judge in the case. It's important to note that the person giving commands is not the shooter. The shooter is the one who was tried for the killing and the one giving commands is his Sergeant (who retired soon after the shooting). The police were responding to a call about someone with a rifle in a hotel room (witness saw it through the window). The subject who was shot had a BAC of >.26 according to the coroner.

Beyond the initial contact, it's hard to see anything that was handled appropriately by the responding officers.
    ]
    Thanks for the note about who was issuing commands.

I thought they put the subject in an unwinnable situation. Their commands were too complex and specific for someone who was trying to move.....the subject was bound to screw them up.

Though I understand the whole furtive movement thing as a legal justification, i can also see why it went to trial.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post

Beyond the initial contact, it's hard to see anything that was handled appropriately by the responding officers. This is also a good case study on why having unnecessary super-moto hoorah gear can make you look like shit when you actually have to use it. Having "You're Fucked" written on your dust cover might make you look cool to your range buddies, but it makes you look like a psychopath to the general public. This is a rather depressing case all around.

Name:  hN9057O.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  55.2 KB

Depressing and unfortunate for sure but clearly shows that it doesn't matter what is on your firearm, only your actions matter.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Depressing and unfortunate for sure but clearly shows that it doesn't matter what is on your firearm, only your actions matter.
    The judge didn’t allow the jury to see that was engraved on his firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam78 View Post
    The judge didn’t allow the jury to see that was engraved on his firearm.
    Where'd you see that? Link would be nice.

Also evidence can be suppressed for numerous reasons, if it went towards motive it likely would not have been suppressed.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

link to exclusion.

State prosecutors argued that the words were a testament to Brailsford’s mindset at the time of the incident, but Maricopa County Superior Court Judge George Foster found the evidence “totally prejudicial” and ruled it inadmissible.
    Interesting. Would love to read the notes of that motion.
    VDMSR.com

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Just saw in the other thread the info that it was the Sergeant giving commands, rather than the shooter. Actually makes it worse, in my eyes. Rather than controlling the situation and directing officers responses, he made the whole thing worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Just saw in the other thread the info that it was the Sergeant giving commands, rather than the shooter. Actually makes it worse, in my eyes. Rather than controlling the situation and directing officers responses, he made the whole thing worse.
    I heard an old IA OIS investigator say that even though many times the shooting officer may be the one that "owns" the shoot, there are sometimes instances of other officers and/or supervisors messing up the whole thing and setting up the shooting officer for the eventuality which is the shooting.
    VDMSR.com

Site Supporter
    I recall reading the opinion that felony car stop procedures only work with compliant suspects. I think we see an illustration of that applied to this hotel contact. The commands were way too complex for someone with a gun pointed at him, especially with the suspect's level of intoxication. Many people attempt compliance with commands, but do not understand that such instinctive actions as pulling up pants violate the do-no-move command. The order to just fall forward if the suspect loses his balance goes against something ingrained in us since we were infants. I guess I could push myself up with my ankles crossed, but that seems counter-intuitive and more so if I were intoxicated.

Safely pulling potentially armed suspects out of a hotel room is going to be difficult, but this approach seemed doomed from the start.

And I probably won't be getting "You're fucked" etched on my patrol rifle. Good grief.

User Tag List