Page 255 of 373 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 3727

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I have often observed that a significan, number of videos show an officer who goes it alone when he or she should have help. I'm not familiar with the San Antonio Police Department, but it is a large, urban agency. Why start pulling any of the three hinky people out of a vehicle without back-up there with you? If you're the only trooper, warden, or deputy in two hundred square miles, I understand. If back-up is available, but you're in a hurry, you're wrong and your video on this thread may not end the way any of us want it to end. If your agency is short because you've been defunded or politicians have driven cops away, well, as President Obama said, elections have consequences. Don't make the stop or wait for back-up before starting anything other than the traffic stop introduction.

The officer in the traffic stop video handled himself exceptionally well. Bravo zulu, sir. That said, dropping one's gun, dropping one's radio, finding out the radio doesn't work, repeated malfunctions with the gun. being wounded...all this stuff could have gone way worse than it did. A second officer on scene would have been way helpful. A second officer might have deterred the attack or ended it early on.

All that said, the airport shooting shows that sometimes, you need to saddle up and ride out alone.
    One possibility is to get them out to avoid flight by vehicle / pursuit. Unlike our County SO, SAPD has a restrictive pursuit policy. I’m not sure if the officer was aware the vehicle was stolen when he initiated the stop.

Face tattoos are a requirement to join the PTA in the part of town where this occurred.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    One possibility is to get them out to avoid flight by vehicle / pursuit. Unlike our County SO, SAPD has a restrictive pursuit policy. I’m not sure if the officer was aware the vehicle was stolen when he initiated the stop.

Face tattoos are a requirement to join the PTA in the part of town where this occurred.
    Very likely. Officers who end up in these videos usually aren't doing anything stupid or reckless and certainly not as evil-minded as the media and politicians suggest they are. They're trying to resolve dangerous situations as well as possible. Trying to avoid the suspect driving off, regardless of your pursuit policy, is certainly a good thing. In many cases, probably even most cases, this might work.

On the other hand, that shootout could have gone much worse than it did. If the stolen car had driven away, would that have been the worst thing ever? The good guys came out on top in this one (as much as can e done in an OIS), but with injuries to the officer which may have long-term consequences. While I don't mourn the deaths of two suspects or the injury to a third, the officer and agency will have to deal with the hassles of that.

While I think the officer and the bad guys probably each knew what the other was about, my thought would have been to drone on about the whole traffic violation issue and the need to write a citation or warning until some friends arrived on scene.

Agree with Erick Gelhaus on responding to why the suspect is asked to get out. Alternative response would be to blame the Supreme Court and suggest the driver spend his time sitting on the curb looking up YouTube videos that will prove you wrong.

Very likely. Officers who end up in these videos usually aren't doing anything stupid or reckless and certainly not as evil-minded as the media and politicians suggest they are. They're trying to resolve dangerous situations as well as possible. Trying to avoid the suspect driving off, regardless of your pursuit policy, is certainly a good thing. In many cases, probably even most cases, this might work.

On the other hand, that shootout could have gone much worse than it did. If the stolen car had driven away, would that have been the worst thing ever? The good guys came out on top in this one (as much as can e done in an OIS), but with injuries to the officer which may have long-term consequences. While I don't mourn the deaths of two suspects or the injury to a third, the officer and agency will have to deal with the hassles of that.

While I think the officer and the bad guys probably each knew what the other was about, my thought would have been to drone on about the whole traffic violation issue and the need to write a citation or warning until some friends arrived on scene.

Agree with Erick Gelhaus on responding to why the suspect is asked to get out. Alternative response would be to blame the Supreme Court and suggest the driver spend his time sitting on the curb looking up YouTube videos that will prove you wrong.
    Well at one point one passenger tells the other to hand him the gun. It was bound to go south.

Site Supporter
    Interrogation room gun grab by suspect in Murder of a toddler.

Back story here: https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas...toddler-report

Site Supporter
    Austin PD patrol officers in shootout during hostage situation. Suspect subsequently killed by SWAT while using a child as a shield.

Backstory: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sta...amp/4943500001
    Last edited by HCM; 06-18-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Re the LV IV room. Edge of my lane at best.

1. Points to the officer who lost the gun for efforts re trying to get it back under control at least they were in there literally swinging

2. I am not sure why the officer left and came back unless he was coming back with a taser

3. More active efforts to retake the weapon/make him release the weapon?

4. 20/20 hindsight. no guns in the IV room. Taser on standby in the future.

Very interested in the commentary of the BTDT folks.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Re the LV IV room. Edge of my lane at best.

1. Points to the officer who lost the gun for efforts re trying to get it back under control at least they were in there literally swinging

2. I am not sure why the officer left and came back unless he was coming back with a taser

3. More active efforts to retake the weapon/make him release the weapon?

4. 20/20 hindsight. no guns in the IV room. Taser on standby in the future.

Very interested in the commentary of the BTDT folks.
    Thanks. Was thinking of how to write what I wanted to say. To my non police self. It seems foolish to enter a small area with any suspect. But I don’t know what I don’t know.

Site Supporter
    vcdgrips and camel, as a BTDT guy, I agree completely about entering processing areas with lethal weapons. I'm surprised that LVMPD (great agency and I'm wearing one of their shirts as I type this) allows the practice. When I became a police officer, approximately 20% of murdered officers were killed with police weapons. That has been largely reduced by changes in protocol and, to a lesser extent, better security holsters.

I do think there is a need for security holsters for plainclothes LEO's and security personnel. Concealment is a security level for off-duty/CCW carry, but we ain't all that subtle working in plainclothes. I hope to see more innovation from holster manufacturers to fill this need.

vcdgrips and camel, as a BTDT guy, I agree completely about entering processing areas with lethal weapons. I'm surprised that LVMPD (great agency and I'm wearing one of their shirts as I type this) allows the practice. When I became a police officer, approximately 20% of murdered officers were killed with police weapons. That has been largely reduced by changes in protocol and, to a lesser extent, better security holsters.

I do think there is a need for security holsters for plainclothes LEO's and security personnel. Concealment is a security level for off-duty/CCW carry, but we ain't all that subtle working in plainclothes. I hope to see more innovation from holster manufacturers to fill this need.
    What are you hoping to see that safariland doesn't already offer?

Site Supporter
    Only so much you can contain. Putting a weapon with a problem still seems foolish.

User Tag List