Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning/sanitizing belts & etc

Cleaning/sanitizing belts & etc

Not in LE but figured more people here would have experience with this.

Don't know if it has been discussed before? Any basic suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    I used to wash my handcuffs after every use if that helps.

I wash my belt off if it gets blood, urine or something else yucky on it or if it gets super dusty I'll wipe it down with a damp cloth.

The last time it was super bloody was back in 2017 so it's been a minute. When I was a K9 handler it was pretty frequent.

Same goes with cuffs...they need something yucky on them to force me clean them.

I cringe when I see someone put their cuffs on a kid or some nice person just for grins or pictures. I know where mine have been.

From back in the first stages of the covid scare I found out that alcohol will kill germs and is maybe the least likely chemical to damage the widest range of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Not in LE but figured more people here would have experience with this. Don't know if it has been discussed before? Any basic suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
    Assuming human fluids and pathogens type stuff. Depends on application, exposure, and suspicion of contamination but do some of these:

Test any products on a non-visible section of the belt.
    If heavily contaminated, first pass with wipe, soap & water cloth, etc for biggest stuff.
    Sanitizing wipes thereafter or for smaller stuff.
    Bleach kills everything, if material can withstand.
    Porous materials may have expanded or contracted embedding a pathogen. May need to heat slightly. (Or keep at same temp immediately after exposure)
    Place in UV light for awhile.
    Most stuff dies when it dries after a period of time, what you've missed microscopically may just time out.
    When in doubt, throw it out.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I don't think it's a common practice unless there's something forcing you to sanitize your belt. I don't know a single cop that does this regularly.

Site Supporter
    I've never felt the need to decontaminate my duty belt. If I were to do so, I'd follow ST911's sound advice.

I often decontaminate handcuffs after use, utilizing whatever disinfectant is available.

I buy a big tub of hospital-style Sani-Cloth disinfectant wipes from Amazon. I use those to periodically wipe down my gear and wipe down my cuffs after every arrest. They make a version that contains bleach that will ruin a uniform, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I buy a big tub of hospital-style Sani-Cloth disinfectant wipes from Amazon. I use those to periodically wipe down my gear and wipe down my cuffs after every arrest. They make a version that contains bleach that will ruin a uniform, fyi.
    I think I've seen those in medical facilities. I typically carry around a tube of Lysol or Clorox wipes with me to wipe down all the high-touch surfaces at work when I take over a post. Curious as to whether Sani-Cloth is more effective (or more or less economical) than the more common household varieties. Anybody know?

Clinics and facilities usually have gallons and barrels of disinfectant concentrate like quat. Stop by with a spray bottle and ask if you can have some. Most are helpful. Quat works well and doesn't ruin stuff.

The canisters of wipes are really similar, but there are specs for that stuff for what they are known to kill and the required contact time. Some skus of the pro-grade stuff are just packaging and quantity differences. The Sani-Cloths are an easy button, others like it are fine. Walmart stuff can be fine.

Bleach water is cheap and easy. Handcuffs should get a bath then rinsed and relubed. Simple soap and water also does work. Sunlight and fresh air are free, use those as time allows. It's all about quantity, time, surface, and your need for turnover.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List