Page 323 of 374 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325333373 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,230 of 3732

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    The female officer was lucky as she ran to front/back of trailer for cover. Could have easily been struck. Close call.
    That was a pretty lackadaisical search. One person lifts the other one is next to them with lethal coverage. Expect to find someone. Don’t be surprised when you do.

She’s lucky since ran to the front of the trailer downrange of the Officer inside shooting with the rifle. This is the first time I’ve seen all three of the body cam views. As near as I can tell they had the rifle covering them but he would have to shoot between them at a lethal threat.

Man if only there was a tool, a furry, four legged tool that could tell you if someone is hiding inside a structure. Oh well we’ll have to clear it ourselves.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Tl/DR officer is in a ground fight with one suspect who has a pistol in her waistband when another suspect returns and points a gun at him.

Virginia Beach, Virginia — On December 1, 2022, at approximately 3:30 p.m., a Virginia Beach Police Department (VBPD) officer received an Automated License Plate Reader (ALPR) hit on a stolen vehicle. The officer initiated a stop in the parking lot of 665 Newtown Road. The officer attempted to detain 28-year-old Deshawn Whitaker who subsequently escaped his grip and fled on foot. The officer then attempted to detain the front seat passenger, a female later identified as Jacqueline Ortiz, F/20, of Norfolk, who had exited the stolen car and was walking away. The officer attempted to take Ortiz into custody, but she immediately resisted and a struggle ensued. During the struggle, Ortiz repeatedly reached for a handgun she had concealed on her person.

As the struggle continued, Whitaker returned, produced a firearm, and pointed it at the officer. The officer then discharged his service weapon, striking Whitaker. Whitaker was transported to Norfolk General hospital. He succumbed to his injuries on December 2, 2022, shortly after midnight. Ortiz was eventually taken into custody and her handgun recovered. Ortiz was transported to local hospital and treated for minor injuries before being released. She has been charged with Possession of Stolen Property, Concealed Weapon, Possession of Firearm After a Domestic Violence Conviction, and Brandishing a Firearm. Ortiz is currently being held on no bond in the Virginia Beach Correctional Center. The involved officer was treated for minor injuries and is currently on administrative leave which is customary in all Officer Involved Shooting incidents.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is the OIS recently discussed in the “Shooting Incidents in the News” thread.

Austin Police Officer Shoots Man Who Was Pointing and Firing a Rifle Into His Home

Any feedback from SMEs on the time between telling him to drop the rifle and the shot? I didn’t notice any aggressive motion and I wish he could have waited another quarter of a second at least. But knowing the speed at which these things happen and understanding what the camera sees is not what the officer sees, I’m currently giving the officer the benefit of the doubt. Am I being optimistic? I realize I’m basically asking for Monday morning quarterbacking here and will understand answers of “not enough info to say”

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Any feedback from SMEs on the time between telling him to drop the rifle and the shot? I didn’t notice any aggressive motion and I wish he could have waited another quarter of a second at least. But knowing the speed at which these things happen and understanding what the camera sees is not what the officer sees, I’m currently giving the officer the benefit of the doubt. Am I being optimistic? I realize I’m basically asking for Monday morning quarterbacking here and will understand answers of “not enough info to say”
    He already fired rounds into the residence. I see no issue with the timing

Virginia Beach Police Officer Fights Woman With A Gun then Shoots Suspect Who Pointed Gun at Him

Huge assumption .....but I believe she wasn't shot because she was a female

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    First principles, action beats reaction and gun in hand equals gun in use. It’s hard to see on the body cam but from the security camera footage:

-The suspect fires a shot into the house as the officers are arriving and another just after.

- The suspect then has the AR in his hands in a low ready as he turns to face the officers and his movements could easily be interpreted as “pieing” the corner.

Given the totality of the circumstances available in the video this looks like a justified shooting.

Further, based on the suspect’s statements on the security camera footage before he fires the shots, I strongly suspect this was a “suicide by cop.” No disrespect to your friends but the story about him being some clueless victim shooting at squirrels seems to be a denial narrative to allow them to avoid facing the fact their loved one chose suicide.

That said, the gap between the challenge and the shots by police was so quick I suspect it was a perfunctory trained response. There was not much opportunity for the suspect to process / comply. However, legally challenges / warnings before use of force are only required “if feasible.” Given the totality of the circumstances here it still would have been a justified shooting without a warning.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-06-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Hammertime
    Virginia Beach Police Officer Fights Woman With A Gun then Shoots Suspect Who Pointed Gun at Him

That guy did great, alone, in a complex situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Huge assumption .....but I believe she wasn't shot because she was a female
    And her skin tone. We see more and more hesitation when force should be used since the world turned upside down around 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    And her skin tone. We see more and more hesitation when force should be used since the world turned upside down around 2015.
    He didn't hesitate with her husband so I don't know that skin color was a factor in hesitation

Site Supporter
    Possibly a subconscious hesitation based on several factors...black, female, and (due to her positioning) most likely having to shoot her in the back.

That headline writes itself.

User Tag List