Page 161 of 372 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 3714

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

That's what sympathetic fire. It doesn't have to make sense, it is what it is. A training issue.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I certainly won't defend the second officer's decision to shoot as rock solid decision-making, but I wonder if this may be a training failure. We emphasize that we want officers to respond immediately against a threat, but we may not emphasize the where-from. If we don't train people in priority of fire, it may not occur to them in the heat of the moment.
    Agreed. We beat it into their heads to get on line. No shooting from “the back of the bus.” The video from South Africa of one cop exploding another cops head from behind with a rifle during a shootout drives home the point pretty well.

I certainly won't defend the second officer's decision to shoot as rock solid decision-making, but I wonder if this may be a training failure. We emphasize that we want officers to respond immediately against a threat, but we may not emphasize the where-from. If we don't train people in priority of fire, it may not occur to them in the heat of the moment.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't train it, unless you're constantly training it, guys are probably not going to rise to the occasion. We all like to think we're above fucking it up, but very rarely does it happen correctly.

I think the bigger training issue, is simply avoiding these situations to begin with. Not the calls just simple things, like if one officer is walking up the steps the other other can be be 4-5 feet to right or left and actually provide cover. If you're walking up to a house it doesn't need to be in a single file line. At least 90% of the time, guys wouldn't be in these situations to begin with if they approached a call/situation with a little mindfulness towards, where do I need to be if this goes to shit?
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Agreed that good tactics early on often preclude the need for perfect decisions or Bill Jordon level shooting a few seconds or minutes into the encounter.

Given many of the houses in my jurisdiction resembled those described by Sykes and Fairburn in "Shooting to Live", I became careful about immediately following another officers up the short and narrow staircases in many of our houses and apartment buildings. If the officer came tumbling downstairs or, more likely, retreated, I believed I'd do more good if I was not tangled up in the mix.

Agreed that good tactics early on often preclude the need for perfect decisions or Bill Jordon level shooting a few seconds or minutes into the encounter.

Given many of the houses in my jurisdiction resembled those described by Sykes and Fairburn in "Shooting to Live", I became careful about immediately following another officers up the short and narrow staircases in many of our houses and apartment buildings. If the officer came tumbling downstairs or, more likely, retreated, I believed I'd do more good if I was not tangled up in the mix.
    L-Shape all things, all the time.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I'm not saying we shouldn't train it, unless you're constantly training it, guys are probably not going to rise to the occasion. We all like to think we're above fucking it up, but very rarely does it happen correctly.

I think the bigger training issue, is simply avoiding these situations to begin with. Not the calls just simple things, like if one officer is walking up the steps the other other can be be 4-5 feet to right or left and actually provide cover. If you're walking up to a house it doesn't need to be in a single file line. At least 90% of the time, guys wouldn't be in these situations to begin with if they approached a call/situation with a little mindfulness towards, where do I need to be if this goes to shit?
    But it's much easier to walk up like that because it never "happens here". We are all guilty of complacency, at various times and calls in our careers. This is a good wake-up.

This one may deserve its own thread. The arrest of a triple homicide suspect in Pennsylvania.

@TC215, looks like Virginia State Police.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @TC215, looks like Virginia State Police.
    You’re right, I need to read better. It was PITTsylvania, Virginia. I thought the cars looked familiar.

That's one for the books.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List