Page 313 of 374 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 3732

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Site Supporter
    Dude with an AR pistol live-streams himself getting shot by the Sheriffs dept.

Site Supporter
    New Mexico. Suspect with body armor barricaded in a vehicle firing shots at deputies. Interesting use of a drone to monitor the vehicle.

Site Supporter
    From the body armor thread. RE the New Mexico dude barricaded in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What do think was going on with the first left hand side of the split screen LEO that had his slide locked back/stuck locked back before he got to shooting? Did I miss that he'd already shot from inside his car and fouled the cycling or something?
    He must have knocked it out of battery wither while he was re-holstering before the chase or as he was drawing and getting out of the car, I never heard anything that sounded like an ND.

Can any of you guys who do or did this for a living provide some insight on why it seems fairly common to see cops trying to pin in a vehicle with their squad car but not getting close enough to the other vehicle to actually pin them in? Do y’all think it’s it a lack of training, or some policy against them making contact with the suspects vehicle or maybe another factor I don’t even know to ask about because I don’t do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

He must have knocked it out of battery wither while he was re-holstering before the chase or as he was drawing and getting out of the car, I never heard anything that sounded like an ND.

Can any of you guys who do or did this for a living provide some insight on why it seems fairly common to see cops trying to pin in a vehicle with their squad car but not getting close enough to the other vehicle to actually pin them in? Do y’all think it’s it a lack of training, or some policy against them making contact with the suspects vehicle or maybe another factor I don’t even know to ask about because I don’t do the job.

In my experience, the officers are worried about getting in trouble for banging up their car. My old agency was like that.

My current agency doesn’t care and we rammed a suspect vehicle just yesterday.

Site Supporter
    I think it's a combination of things. Most officers, except those in specialized units, probably have no training and little experience in blocking vehicles. Secondly, agency policies may prohibit ramming or roadblocks which a block might be considered. Lastly, no one wants to bang up a vehicle, especially a take-home car or a single officer fleet vehicle.

Somewhat related, my former department poached a couple of officers from other agencies while they were still in the academy. One was a big college football player type (no idea if he played, but you get the drift). Command staff was in love with him, sending him, as a rookie to general instructor, firearms instructor, DT instructor, and intoximeter training. I thought it was a summer fling, but the command staff believed it was true love.

One morning, we encountered a driverless vehicle driving in a tight circle in a parking lot at low speed. If this sounds like an episode of "COPS" or "Southland", you've seen it in both shows. Rather than smash the window with a PR-24 and dive in as John Cooper did, our rookie cut in front of the vehicle with his cruiser, stopping it, but damaging the cruiser. I couldn't think of a better was of handling it, but was really concerned that he would be disciplined for a technical violation of the vehicle operations general order, especially since he may have been on probation at the time. I discovered how deeply he was loved by the executive staff, when I got a copy of the report on my desk with a major's hand-written "Possible Public Safety Award???" in the margin. While I believed in writing up awards for exceptional police work, that was't this case and I told command that.

Did the love affair last? Sadly, it was unrequited. No, our young stalwart took all that training and transferred to the county police where, the last I heard, he is a SWAT officer. Good on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

Probably department policies against making contact with other vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Probably department policies against making contact with other vehicles
    I’m sure there are departments out there that have policies like that, but I’ve not run across it. Pinning in a vehicle during a takedown/assault is not the same as PITing a car or using a vehicle as deadly force, which I have frequently seen policies for. There is no vehicle damage if you pin a vehicle properly.

If you don’t have the car blocked well, and leave even an inch gap, the car will be able to get out. There are different techniques, but the Marshals have the drivers of the pinning vehicles stay on the brakes. LAPD SIS stays in the gas when they pin a car. We use the Marshals’ technique.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’m sure there are departments out there that have policies like that, but I’ve not run across it. Pinning in a vehicle during a takedown/assault is not the same as PITing a car or using a vehicle as deadly force, which I have frequently seen policies for. There is no vehicle damage if you pin a vehicle properly.

If you don’t have the car blocked well, and leave even an inch gap, the car will be able to get out. There are different techniques, but the Marshals have the drivers of the pinning vehicles stay on the brakes. LAPD SIS stays in the gas when they pin a car. We use the Marshals’ technique.
    We can not unless it's in a swat setting (using apc/bearcat)

Site Supporter
    Big County here prohibits it except for specialized units such as Special Investigation Division (narcs, vice& intell) and Special Assignment Teams (surveillance). This is not to say it has never, ever occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    We can not unless it's in a swat setting (using apc/bearcat)
    Which is what happens when policy writers are more concerned with the possibility of a cruiser getting banged up than they are with preventing a pursuit/fleeing suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Big County here prohibits it except for specialized units such as Special Investigation Division (narcs, vice& intell) and Special Assignment Teams (surveillance). This is not to say it has never, ever occurred.
    I’ve spent basically my entire career in narcs/investigations, so my opinion and experience may be skewed.

User Tag List