Page 226 of 372 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 3714

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    There was a radio on her vest. You could see it later in the video. Maybe not on the right freq or couldn't manipulate it with her hands shot or something.
    A lot of the guys I have seen running "tactical" armor carriers don"t see the need for a handmic. So the radio has to be removed from the pouch to be used. There is a Motorola at 10:00 abover her belt line. I just lost a trainee who could not get it through her head that using her handmic in the unit with the unit radio on caused painful feedback for every one on the channel. I run an earpiece so that I can keep my handheld on at a useable volume without feedback when I use the unit radio and switch the unit radio to a neighboring agency's channel to monitor while still being on my channel (not that that also hasn't caused problems). I have seasoned 25+ year officers who will either run their handhelds and turn the volume on the unit radio off, or else turn their handheld down/off when in the unit. For a long time I was the foot pursuit king and learned the earpiece in and radio at a useable volume means I didn't have to either turn on my radio and wait for it to boot up or turn it up early in the foot chase so I could coordinate containment. By the same token, when I jump back in the car and give chase I don't get feedback.

I don't know if it is still the case, but due to our wide open spaces (old timers used to speak of backup being literally hours away) State Police used to have a radio repeater in the trunk of every unit. I know that in the past it has caused problems for them on large scenes.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    A lot of the guys I have seen running "tactical" armor carriers don"t see the need for a handmic. So the radio has to be removed from the pouch to be used. There is a Motorola at 10:00 abover her belt line. I just lost a trainee who could not get it through her head that using her handmic in the unit with the unit radio on caused painful feedback for every one on the channel. I run an earpiece so that I can keep my handheld on at a useable volume without feedback when I use the unit radio and switch the unit radio to a neighboring agency's channel to monitor while still being on my channel (not that that also hasn't caused problems). I have seasoned 25+ year officers who will either run their handhelds and turn the volume on the unit radio off, or else turn their handheld down/off when in the unit. For a long time I was the foot pursuit king and learned the earpiece in and radio at a useable volume means I didn't have to either turn on my radio and wait for it to boot up or turn it up early in the foot chase so I could coordinate containment. By the same token, when I jump back in the car and give chase I don't get feedback.

I don't know if it is still the case, but due to our wide open spaces (old timers used to speak of backup being literally hours away) State Police used to have a radio repeater in the trunk of every unit. I know that in the past it has caused problems for them on large scenes.

pat

When you say lost a trainee, do you mean failed out of FTO because of that issue?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    When you say lost a trainee, do you mean failed out of FTO because of that issue?
    Not because of that issue. She said family commitments, rumor mill says the FD hired her unexpectedy in the forth week of her emplyment with us.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Not because of that issue. She said family commitments, rumor mill says the FD hired her unexpectedy in the forth week of her emplyment with us.

pat

Ahhh ok. Thanks.

It has been years since I have used a lapel mic. I can actually talk into my radio with out even taking it off my belt, which is not ideal but it works. Admittedly, that is not likely to work in a foot pursuit.

Phoenix PD:

Denair PD. You don’t see OIS’s like this everyday.

All I could think of when they pulled that guy out of the skid loader...
    Name:  but did you die.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  12.9 KB

Worst Marvin Heemeyer impression ever...
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Denair PD. You don’t see OIS’s like this everyday.

Killdozer Lite.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Chicago PD shootout:

User Tag List