Page 111 of 373 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 3727

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

I would hate to work there.

Also, thought this was interesting from the article:

Barcenas was shot by San Francisco police before in a 2012 incident in the Mission District. In that case, he was accused of pulling a Tec-9 assault pistol on current Assistant Chief Toney Chaplin, who at the time worked on the Gang Task Force, The Chronicle reported this week.
    Guess he didn’t learn after the first time.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I was wondering if someone was going to post this one. Yeah, interesting history on that guy. Not gonna comment on the shooting at all, since it's an open investigation, but I will address the aftermath. It's disturbing to me on several levels. The fact that a crowd of people thinks it's acceptable to surround and assault an armed cop who was just involved in a use of deadly force shows that a significant part of our population is no longer operatively 'civilized', in the way that we previously understood the term. That, and the difference in the response of the backup officers from how that situation would have been handled even 10 years ago, does not give me hope for the future of LE in this town.
    Last edited by AMC; 06-17-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    The fact that a crowd of people thinks it's acceptable to surround and assault an armed cop who was just involved in a use of deadly force shows that a significant part of our population is no longer operatively 'civilized', in the way that we previously understood the term. That, and the difference in the response of the backup officers from how that situation would have been handled even 10 years ago, does not give me hope for the future of LE in this town.
    In spte of "liking" your post, even though it is spot on accurate and I agree completely I don't like it.

From a supervisory perspective there are multiple re-training issues. Not the least of which is a failure (willful inability?) to secure the suspect and the scene. "My radio doesn't work"??? And, as mentioned, there is the mob of supporters for the criminally feral.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 06-17-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    One of the things I've noticed in the last few years, and especially since our Use of Force policy mandated De-Escalation in virtually every circumstance, is a deep reluctance to resort to even controlling levels of force...to put hands on people for any reason. It's hands off....until it's time to shoot. This all or nothing mentality is leading to inevitable problems. Failure to establish control early is actually allowing, even encouraging, these situations to escalate further. My peers and I were discussing how a backup response to such a situation even 10 years ago would've resulted in members of that mob being tossed ass over teakettle, and numerous wood shampoos being administered. One command followed by 36 inches of hickory. That scene was not safe at all...medics won't come in, evidence (the gun!) can be lost, cops can be injured. Bad news all around. There's a time to de-escalate....that wasn't it.
    Last edited by AMC; 06-17-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    In spte of "liking" your post, even though it is spot on accurate and I agree completely I don't like it.

From a supervisory perspective there are multiple re-training issues. Not the least of which is a failure (willful inability?) to secure the suspect and the scene. "My radio doesn't work"??? And, as mentioned, there is the mob of supporters for the criminally feral.
    I agree. I have a few issues/notes with this video:

1) This is a great video to show pre-flight cues. That dude looked like he was fixing to run from the start. I think the officer knew that.

2) That scene needed to be controlled better. Batons should have been out and working to move the crowd back. I don't blame the officer involved, but his partners seemed reluctant to use force to secure a crime scene (with a missing gun) and a bad guy.

3) The gold badge that showed up and said a city-wide response isn't needed was wrong. My collar and sleeves say I'm a supervisor but I don't doubt the man on scene, that's just wrong. He's there, he sees the situation, and his request for more officers is right. If, in hindsight, the request is unnecessary then you can address it in an AAR.

4) This video is a good example of my change to using my gun hand to handle non-essential tasks. It was hammered into me in my early years to use my gun hand for nothing other than gun stuff. But after watching countless OIS videos, it seems like many people neglect to drop the non-essential junk in their non-dominate hand and instead choose to shoot one-handed. In this case the officer keeps his shoulder mic in his hand while shooting instead of getting a proper two-handed grip (it's not his fault, it's a training scar IMO). I still accept paperwork, etc. with my non-dominant hand, but hold it in my dominant hand after that. If I have to draw then I have no choice but to drop the stuff and my non-dominant hand will be free to establish a proper grip. Pretty much the only thing I use my non-dominant hand now for is my flashlight.

LAPD Metro OIS from last month. While the shooting is interesting, I'm far more impressed with how they dissected, presented the video and the event. That includes addressing the co-suspect who retrieved and fled with the dropped gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_f...layer_embedded

MORE agencies need to educate this way.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    One of the things I've noticed in the last few years, and especially since our Use of Force policy mandated De-Escalation in virtually every circumstance, is a deep reluctance to resort to even controlling levels of force...to put hands on people for any reason. It's hands off....until it's time to shoot. This all or nothing mentality is leading to inevitable problems. Failure to establish control early is actually allowing, even encouraging, these situations to escalate further. My peers and I were discussing how a backup response to such a situation even 10 years ago would've resulted in members of that mob being tossed ass over teakettle, and numerous wood shampoos being administered. One command followed by 36 inches of hickory. That scene was not safe at all...medics won't come in, evidence (the gun!) can be lost, cops can be injured. Bad news all around. There's a time to de-escalate....that wasn't it.
    Very well said! I just wish the political management in most places would listen.

Controlling the scene early was one of the first things I learned when I started policing in 74. Failing to do that isn’t ever a good idea.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    LAPD Metro OIS from last month. While the shooting is interesting, I'm far more impressed with how they dissected, presented the video and the event. That includes addressing the co-suspect who retrieved and fled with the dropped gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_f...layer_embedded

MORE agencies need to educate this way.
    Vegas PD has been doing something similar, but not nearly as polished.

More solid work by Tulsa PD. That Sgt is a rock star.

Last edited by TGS; 07-11-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    More solid work by Tulsa PD. That Sgt is a rock star.

Both of them are...

pat

User Tag List