Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Options for police at these universities?

Options for police at these universities?

See all the video on TV I can't help but wonder what non-lethal options do the police have? I know they used some kind of gas & I heard some used flash bangs. I was thinking a well powered paintball rifle might be an alternative. What non-lethal would be available to be fired from a weapon?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    See all the video on TV I can't help but wonder what non-lethal options do the police have? I know they used some kind of gas & I heard some used flash bangs. I was thinking a well powered paintball rifle might be an alternative. What non-lethal would be available to be fired from a weapon?
    First language matters. “Less lethal” not “non-lethal.”

Pepper ball guns are essentially regarded paint ball guns that shoot balls filled with OC powder instead of paint.

Gas and certain types of flash bangs are options but have risk of secondary fires and have to be use judiciously - you have to have a plan / path for the protestors to escape / disburse.

The old “hats and bats” with riot shields still works.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    First language matters. “Less lethal” not “non-lethal.”

Pepper ball guns are essentially regarded paint ball guns that shoot balls filled with OC powder instead of paint.

Gas and certain types of flash bangs are options but have risk of secondary fires and have to be use judiciously - you have to have a plan / path for the protestors to escape / disburse.

The old “hats and bats” with riot shields still works.
    I’ve been telling my wife there’s a lot of folks needing wood shampoos.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

A field force deploying with shields and batons backed up by chemical agents, sting balls, and 40mm baton rounds.

I think if they tested the fire trucks for water pressure on a few of these campuses many would find something else to do with their time.

A field force deploying with shields and batons backed up by chemical agents, sting balls, and 40mm baton rounds. There are 12 gauge beanbags rounds and 37mm/40mm rubber baton rounds. There are wooden baton rounds called knee knockers that are skip fired off the ground into the crowd. The pepperball guns are popular. FN 303s fire a plastic round with bismuth shavings suspended in liquid IIRC. Those hurt a lot. I saw someone volunteer to get shot when we first got them. Ouch!

Note to rioters don’t pick up burning gas and like he says expect to be hit if you kick gas back. I think this is a rubber baton round capped with an OC packet.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    The pepperball guns are popular. FN 303s fire a plastic round with bismuth shavings suspended in liquid IIRC. Those hurt a lot. I saw someone volunteer to get shot when we first got them. Ouch!
    Getting shot in the eye with one can even kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I think if they tested the fire trucks for water pressure on a few of these campuses many would find something else to do with their time.
    This is likely regional, but when I was part of a major VFD in a suburb of Houston, during the original wave of BLM protests in 2014/2015, our leadership explicitly stated that we would not participate in any activities aimed at dispersing protesters, as this would negatively affect our relationship and standing with the community.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    IIRC they had the air pressure used to propel it boosted high too. Aiming high, unless you doing it in response to a lethal threat, with a launched baton round of any kind can be fatal hence they’re less lethal or less than lethal.

User Tag List