Page 142 of 373 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 3727

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Just curious, how would you approach an unresponsive/nodded-out driver with a gun on his lap, locked doors, and the car running in drive?
    I'm sincerely interested, too, and would like to hear more in general from those with the knowledge and experience. I understand not wanting to MMQB, but without informed context from the experts, many of us are just watching shoot 'em ups.
    Last edited by Wingate's Hairbrush; 04-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Since this is a very recent case, and possibly still the subject of litigation, I'll limit my remarks. I'll say that as a supervisor, I was constantly reminding the officers on my team to slow the scene down, and not push an exigency. I also emphasized the importance of distance and cover. Too many officers use their pistol as "cover" in my opinion. Being close is also mentally equated with being in" control".

Pretty good management of the pursuit, though the first spike strip deployment made me cringe.

From the department’s facebook page:

***WARNING: INTENSE FOOTAGE AND GRAPHIC LANGUAGE***

*Air One and body-worn camera footage of yesterday's shooting incident.*

The deputies who fired their weapons in this incident are:

Sergeant Tom Dane, 55, hire date July 1988
    Sergeant Joel Hernandez, 40, hire date February 2003
    Senior Deputy Adam Clausen, 44, hire date June 2000
    Detective Jordan McDaniel, 42, hire date October 2001
    Deputy Hector Rodriguez, 28, hire date March 2015

April 11, 2019

CARJACKING SUSPECT FATALLY WOUNDED AFTER FIRING AT DEPUTIES

An armed suspect who fired at Volusia County sheriff’s deputies was fatally wounded Thursday afternoon and a VCSO sergeant survived with a grazing gunshot wound to the head in a shooting that erupted near Interstate 4 after the suspect carjacked a woman at gunpoint in Deltona, led deputies on a pursuit to the DeLand area and appeared to be ready to carjack another innocent person.

The initial carjacking was reported around 2:21 p.m. at a home on the 2500 block of Ludlow Street in Deltona, where the victim said a man got in her truck, pointed a gun at her, demanded her keys and then took off in the vehicle. Deputies attempted to stop the stolen truck in Deltona, but the suspect continued fleeing erratically. At one point, the suspect swerved at a deputy who deployed stop sticks on the truck. As he fled, the suspect appeared to be waving a handgun out the driver’s side window.

After several stop stick hits, with all four tires appearing to be deflated, the truck slowed to a crawl and came to a stop on State Road 44 in front of the Volusia County Fairgrounds. The suspect got out of the truck with the gun still in his hand and ran in the direction of several motorists who were stopped on the road next to him. A deputy drove his unmarked SUV in the suspect’s direction, preventing him from reaching another potential carjacking victim, and the suspect ran the other direction and opened fire at several other responding deputies. Deputies returned fire, striking the suspect several times. Still armed with the handgun, the suspect went into the woods, where deputies ultimately took him into custody, brought him out and performed first aid before he was transported to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

The deceased is Phillip Thomas Marsh, 30 (DOB 12/7/1988), of Lake Helen. Marsh had been reported missing and suicidal earlier this week and at the time, it was noted he was known to act violently toward law enforcement and has made threats of “suicide by cop” and suicide by other means.

The sergeant who received the graze wound to the head is Sgt. Thomas Dane, 54, who has been a VCSO deputy for 30 years (hire date in July 1988). Footage from Sgt. Dane’s body-worn camera indicates he was shot soon after emerging from his vehicle. His hat was found lying on the road with an entry hole next to the “SHERIFF’S K-9 UNIT” logo on the front, and an exit hole a few inches above that. He was treated and released from Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach.

In total, five deputies fired at Marsh. The exact number of shots fired is unconfirmed at this time. It’s believed Marsh fired multiple times. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is conducting the official investigation into the shooting. Those who fired their weapons have been placed on administrative leave with pay, which is standard following a deputy-involved shooting.

Sheriff Mike Chitwood, who was one of several units involved in the pursuit and was on scene during the shooting itself, commended the tactics and coordination of all involved. “Everything that they did was to try to prevent what happened – knowing that this was probably what was going to happen,” Chitwood said, adding: “I know tonight when I go home, I’ll be saying a prayer thanking the good Lord that Sgt. Dane will be back to work real soon.”

The area of the incident was reopened to traffic around 8 p.m. Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Pretty good management of the pursuit, though the first spike strip deployment made me cringe.

Clearly an intentional act on the suspect's behalf.

Hopefully, they'll charge the suspect with attempted aggravated vehicular assault for swerving towards the officer as he was deploying the strip.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Clearly an intentional act on the suspect's behalf.

Hopefully, they'll charge the suspect with attempted aggravated vehicular assault for swerving towards the officer as he was deploying the strip.
    He’s in the morgue. It’s exceptionally cleared.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 04-16-2019 at 01:19 AM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    He’s in the morgue. It’s exceptionally cleared.
    Ah, good enough. Didn't watch much past that point in the video, so I missed that. Thanks.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Did not expect the conversation to go quite like this:

"Come here, comere comere. You OK?"
    "Yeah, I got hit in the head with a round."
    "With what?"
    "With a bullet."
    "Okay"

Man, just hearing that wounded handler's dog go apeshit when he opened the door made me crack...

Surveillance footage of a OIS of armed robbery suspects near Yale: https://www.wtnh.com/news/news-8-exc...ing/1939434472

Before you judge the Yale officer too harshly for running away (leaving his car in drive), know that he was hit by a ricochet (presumably from the Hamden officer). The initial call apparently stemmed from an argument between a newspaper deliveryman and the driver at a convenience store at ~4am that was called in as an armed robbery. Dispatch apparently told police that the driver was waiving a handgun.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 04-21-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Another one from Volusia County. Pursuit with K9 apprehension:

User Tag List