Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: train travel while armed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I had planned to use them for a trip several years ago that we thought would be kind of a fun way to do it. When I called Amtrack, I was treated like I had the plague and was sternly told that they do not recognize LEOSA and did not even allow firearms in baggage. They moved to my list of "Not fricking Ever".
    I may be wrong, but I think they have been forced to accept firearms in checked baggage line the airlines. Order of magnitude difference, but I have checked firearms on the Alaska Railroad several times.

Real simple for me. As long as your allowing felons, paroles and assorted shit on trains without a full screening, and your only security is really a conductor or assistant conductor who are regularly assaulted for the mere act of asking for a ticket.....well, I am not checking my pistol and will find other means of travel.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Never mind.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Never mind.
    Sorry I jacked up your thread. Back on topic. As explained to me by Amtrack, they do not recognize LEOSA, and may or may not be able to allow your firearm in your baggage.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

The Long Island Rail Road, owned and managed by the Metropolitan Transit Authority, and reportedly the busiest United States commuter rail system by annual ridership, issues Police Passes to sworn members of my department and other area agencies. Officers are expected to assist train crew personnel in an official capacity if requested... This policy has been in effect for quite some time, a result of the Colin Ferguson shooting in 1993 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_L..._Road_shooting
    I always ride armed on an LIRR train with my family and frankly took it for granted that the same "courtesy" would be offered by Amtrack....

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    The Long Island Rail Road, owned and managed by the Metropolitan Transit Authority, and reportedly the busiest United States commuter rail system by annual ridership, issues Police Passes to sworn members of my department and other area agencies. Officers are expected to assist train crew personnel in an official capacity if requested... This policy has been in effect for quite some time, a result of the Colin Ferguson shooting in 1993 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_L..._Road_shooting
    I always ride armed on an LIRR train with my family and frankly took it for granted that the same "courtesy" would be offered by Amtrack....
    Metrolink in SoCal and DART here in DALLAS encourage LE ridership. I have helped DART fair inspectors several times when they were being physically threatened.

Not LE, but I work on the periphery of railroading.

I have a few friends and acquaintances that are current or former LE in DFW that have taken the two Amtrak trains (AMTK 21/22 and 821/822) in and out of DFW frequently. Nobody asked, nobody cared, nobody volunteered. Not once were any of them or their bags searched. A few years ago TSA did set up a screening at Dallas Union Station, similar to airports, but the station manager called DPD and DART PD, and the order was given to remove the TSA. I have heard of the host railroad (on long distance trains, Amtrak runs on other railroad's trackage) stopping the train and searching it with K9, but that was only for credible info on a wanted person.

Amtrak banned guns onboard their trains after the Madrid train bombing, but Obama rescinded that ban. Considering that Amtrak is almost 100% federally funded, and is in need of revenue at all times, if enough current and retired LE organizations contacted Amtrak PD's chief and got the PD inline, they could make a change.

*forgive my grammar, I am exhaustimated

Site Supporter
    I suspect that in the South or West that no official would question a policeman whether on or off duty. And I become enraged when policy does not recognize that l.e. folks should be exempt from weapon restrictions.

The problem comes I if you do have to use or deploy a firearm. Most scumbags paid in lawsuits are not for the actual actions of the what happened but violation of company or organizational policy even if the action was totally legal and justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    So, I may have missed it, but do they actually screen passengers and baggage??
    We traveled Amtrak from Denver to Reno last November. They verified that we had tickets in our hands, but never checked ID to make sure that we were the people who's names were on the ticket. I never saw any screening of baggage, either checked or carry on.

User Tag List