Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: train travel while armed?

train travel while armed?

I'm familiar with the process for flying while armed, but what is the process, if any, for train travel while armed?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Keep it in the holster unless needed and carry on. Word on the street was they were going to try and put in some kind of weapon check points at train stations but as far as I know it hasn't been enacted.

I'm interested to know. Ive traveled by train in the past, but it was before the current levels of security in other aspects of life were as prevalent. I really enjoyed train travel. If Im able to do it again and if I had the time, Id stop at various places along the way for a day or two and get back on. I think you can do that on some tickets.

Saw this, not sure if they have much thats useful.

https://www.amtrak.com/passenger-identification
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-11-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Hoping for the best is not my idea of a good plan.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

This is on the Amtrak PD page:

https://police.amtrak.com/index.php/about/leo

I am a LEO traveling armed on official police business. What should I do?
    Complete a request to travel armed go to https://police.amtrak.com/index.php/about/leo
    Or download the current version of the LEO Traveling Armed Information Request form and
    submit it to VIPSecurity@Amtrak.com . You will be advised when the appropriate Amtrak
    security personnel have been notified of your intended travel.

Please Note: Amtrak policy only allows LEOs conducting official police business to travel armed
    aboard Amtrak trains. This policy does not include off duty police officers, retired police officers,
    private security personnel or other legally armed individuals

Do I need a LEO traveling Armed Request if I am already listed on the VIP Security Services
    Request?
    No. LEOs do not need a separate LEO Traveling Armed Request if they are already listed on
    the VIP Security Services Request.

I am a LEO traveling on personal business. Can I travel armed aboard Amtrak trains?
    No. Amtrak policy only covers LEOs traveling on official police business.

Please note: An alternative to traveling armed is to check your firearm. Some Amtrak trains are
    equipped with lockers for this purpose. Contact Amtrak Customer Support for more information at 1
    (800) 872-7245. You can also select this link for more information about Firearms in Checked
    Baggage .

What if I have more questions?
    You can send your questions to VIPSecurity@Amtrak.com or contact the Dignitary Protection
    Coordinator at 202.329.0600.
    https://police.amtrak.com/templates/...es/VIP_FAQ.pdf
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Found this, not sure how authoritative all the info is. Post No 14 seemed to have the only seemingly concise information but it wasnt source cited.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/inde...ncealed-carry/

Unfortunately also a lot of derp discussion.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Seems like blues pretty much ferreted out the scoop.

I rode Amtrak a couple years ago and had a similar concern. I was traveling for a short vacation (to Chicago, i.e. gun required) and found the info posted above about not being able to carry. What I couldn't find (and still haven't, but I admit I haven't looked too hard recently) is what are the consequences for breaking the Amtrak policy? If I'm told to hit the bricks and that's all, that is fine with me. If it is actually a crime, then not fine. I ended up carrying on my trip and nothing came of it. I am interested in finding out the correct answer.

I read the stuff of Amtrak's page prior to starting this thread. The reason I started it is because I found that the process of actually flying while armed had some pitfalls not covered in the actual flying while armed training. When our training guy contacted the feds about an updated lesson plan, we were told, "Our records show that you received the lesson plan in 2014."

So, anyone with firsthand experience in traveling on Amtrak while armed as an LEO (this is the LEO section)?

User Tag List